String handling

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Don Jones 4 years ago.

• Author

by matttilford at 2013-04-23 14:38:46

Ok, a quick bit of background. We have AutoDesk network licences that we can view the current usage of using a program called JTB FlexReport. I am using it to output a html file which i am then reading into powershell so i can see which program is using the licence (mainly Revit or AutoCAD) but also which version.

The html output is mostly a standard html table.

$ReportApp = "JTB FlexReport LT.exe"
    $ReportAppOpt = "/h"
    Start-Process $ReportApp $ReportAppOpt

sleep -seconds 10

$file = Get-Content "$env:localappdata/Temp/JTBFlexReportLT.htm" | select-string "@" | Select-String "td"
    $file | ForEach-Object {
    $out = $file -replace "

",""
    $out = $out -replace "

",""
    $out = $out -split "@"
    }
    $pclist =@()
    $out | ForEach-Object {
    if ($_ -match "PE-"){
    $pclist += $_
    }
    }

$pclist = $pclist | sort -Unique

$results = Invoke-Command -ComputerName $pclist -ScriptBlock {
    Get-Process -Name Revit, Acad -FileVersionInfo | select -Property FileName
    }
    $results | Out-GridView

The split on the @ is because the result is given as username@computername, so then loop through the data to get the computer names. I also need to get the unique entries as each entry will be in at least twice: once for the version (i.e. BDS 2013) and once for the overall count.

What i'm mainly wondering is if there is a better way to handle the string? Most of the script is getting data from a line such as

abc@PE-PC-01

Am i missing some obvious way of working with the string i'm given? Also my apologies for $_, i'm still working with some PS2 on Server 2003 so i've not moved to $PSItem yet.

by mjolinor at 2013-04-23 15:07:26

It would help to see the original string.

by poshoholic at 2013-04-23 21:04:52

Also, you don't need to apologize for using $_. 🙂

t's still supported, and the odds your scripts will run on both v2 and v3 go up when you use $_, and down when you use $PSItem. I'll be using $_ for a long time yet.

by matttilford at 2013-04-24 02:25:14

Yeah i agree i wasn't very clear in my original post. The Get-Content extracts the lines i need to work with i.e

abc@PE-PC-01

What i'm looking at is the next 10 lines of code that are there just to extract the computer name from that string. Am i missing a trick or is that the best way to handle it?

by mjolinor at 2013-04-24 03:26:25

Try this:

$regex = '\s*

.+?@(.+)

\s*'

$pclist = (Get-Content "$env:localappdata/Temp/JTBFlexReportLT.htm") -match $regex -replace $regex,'$1'

The -match and -replace operators will work on both an array and on a scalar (single object). When you use -match against a single string, it returns True/False. If you use it against an array, it returns all the elements of the array that match. You can also chain those opertions together in a single command line.

The parens around the get-content will produce an array of all the lines, the -match filters out all the lines you don't want, and the -replace gets rid of all the text you don't want in the lines that did match.

by matttilford at 2013-04-24 09:03:43

You are a legend, not only does it work perfectly i even understand why! As an added bonus i piped that into sort -unique which got rid of another line.

by eisenbergz at 2013-04-24 22:36:04

Could you explain the $1 ? I don't see where that object comes from. Thanks.

by matttilford at 2013-04-25 03:24:01

I had to quickly remind myself what it was, but i have used it before. Basically it's the bit inside the brackets, so $0 is the whole string and $1 is the bit inside the first brackets. If i wanted to get the username from that string as well i could change the regex

$regex = '\s*

(.+?)@(.+)

\s*'
    So then $1 would be the username and $2 would be the computer name.

by eisenbergz at 2013-04-25 05:12:33

Makes sense. Does that variable persist until the end of the script?

Randy.DFW
    Participant

Matt,
    Would you mind posting your completed script or emailing me a copy. We're trying to do the same thing. Thanks

Don Jones
    Keymaster

Randy, this post came from our old forums, so Matt won't see your request. He's at @matttilford on Twitter, if you'd like to try there.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.