Sub Expression using Read Host

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Delonte Johnson 1 week, 5 days ago.

• Author

Delonte Johnson
    Participant

Can someone please explain to me why this doesn't work?

Get-Item "'\\$(Read-Host 'Specify Computer')\c$\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\winword.exe'"
    "'\\$(Read-Host 'Specify Computer')\c$\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\winword.exe'" | Get-Item

Write-Host behaves exactly as I would expect...

Write-Host "'\\$(Read-Host 'Specify Computer')\c$\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\winword.exe'"
    "'\\$(Read-Host 'Specify Computer')\c$\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\winword.exe'" | Write-Host

Also, if I manually provide string it works fine.

Get-Item "'\\computer\c$\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\winword.exe'"
    "'\\computer\c$\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\winword.exe'" | Get-Item

Any idea as to why Get-Item wants to append the target location to the current location in this circumstance?

Thanks in Advance

Don Jones
    Keymaster

The C$ should probably be C`$ to escape the dollar sign. I'm also not sure what the embedded single quotes are doing for you.

What's this not doing that you expected it to?

Delonte Johnson
      Participant

Removing extra set of quotes resolved issue. I swear initially had a single pair of quotations and it didn't like that because there were spaces in the path so that's why I added the second pair. In any case, it does what I want it to do now so I'm happy 🙂 Thank you sir!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.