Suppress the error when get-credential prompt is cancelled

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of GJ GJ 1 year, 11 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of GJ
    GJ
    Participant

Hi Guys,

Apologies if this is a silly question. I have the below sample code which will prompt for the credentials. When I run this, if I cancel the get-credential prompt, why is it throwing an error and how to suppress that?

Param(
        [Parameter(Mandatory = $false,Position=1)]
            [string[]]$ComputerName = $env:COMPUTERNAME,
        [Parameter(Mandatory = $false)]
            [System.Management.Automation.Credential()]$Credential = [System.Management.Automation.PSCredential]::Empty
    )

if ( 'a' -eq 'a' )
    {
        $Credential = Get-Credential -Message "Please provide the credentials" -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue
    }

Error info – when I cancel the get-credential prompt.

PS C:\> .\draft.ps1
    userName
    At C:\draft.ps1:11 char:5
    +     $Credential = Get-Credential -Message "Please provide the credentials" -Erro ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (:) [], RuntimeException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Argument

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones
    Keymaster

You declared the credential parameter as a specific data type; $null isn't acceptable but that's what it gets if you cancel the prompt.

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones
    Keymaster

You shouldn't actually be prompting in your script. If someone wants to provide a credential they'll specify your parameter.

Profile photo of GJ
    GJ
    Participant

Thanks Don, that explains.

Profile photo of GJ
    GJ
    Participant

Thanks Don, Actually in my original script I prompt for the credential if the currently logged on user is not a domain user and also if the user hasn't selected the credential parameter. .

if ( $ComputerName -ne $env:COMPUTERNAME -and $env:USERDOMAIN -ne $domain -and $Credential.UserName -eq $null )
    {
        $Credential = Get-Credential -Message "Please provide the credentials to be used to be used for remote connection" -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue
    }

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.