swapping 12851 files names to 12851 files in a another folder

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Wayne Leggett Jr. Wayne Leggett Jr. 7 months, 1 week ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Wayne Leggett Jr.
    Wayne Leggett Jr.
    Participant

swapping 12851 files names to 12851 files in a another folder using powershell i have a text file with all the new names or i have both directory locations saved as text which is as follows E:\Games\my fallout 4 mods\rick and morty audio\test audio no dlc\RICK MOD TESTS\Sound\Voice\Fallout4.esm\PlayerVoiceMale01 is the directory that hs the new names
    E:\Games\my fallout 4 mods\rick and morty audio\winraw folder\wave files1 is the direcorty with files that need renamed i planned on using a text file to renmes them and came up with a power shell scrpit whats wrong with it $RenameTable = @{}
    Get-Content newnames.txt |ForEach-Object {
    $OldName,$NewName = $_.Split('|')
    $RenameTable[$OldName] = $NewName
    }

Get-ChildItem E:\Games\my fallout 4 mods\rick and morty audio\winraw folder\wave files1 |Rename-Item -NewName {
    if($RenameTable.ContainsKey($_.Name)){
    $RenameTable[$_.Name]
    } else {
    $_.Name
    }
    }

Wayne Leggett Jr.
    Participant

this is the error i keep getting i dont understand
    Get-ChildItem : A positional parameter cannot be found that accepts argument '4'.
    At line:1 char:14
    + Get-ChildItem <<<< E:\Games\my fallout 4 mods\rick and morty audio\winraw folder\wave files1 |Rename-Item -NewName { + CategoryInfo : InvalidArgument: (:) [Get-ChildItem], ParameterBindingException + FullyQualifiedErrorId : PositionalParameterNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.GetChildItemCommand

Profile photo of Jonathan Warnken
    Jonathan Warnken
    Participant

Because the path contains spaces it needs to be enclosed in quotes.
    try this

Get-ChildItem "E:\Games\my fallout 4 mods\rick and morty audio\winraw folder\wave files1" |Rename-Item -NewName {
    if($RenameTable.ContainsKey($_.Name)){
    $RenameTable[$_.Name]
    } else {
    $_.Name
    }
    }

Wayne Leggett Jr.
    Participant

that was the issue awesome man thanks very much so i ran it and this is what happended on every one Cannot index into a null array.
    At line:3 char:14
    + $RenameTable[ <<<< $OldName] = $NewName + CategoryInfo : InvalidOperation: (00249AD5_1:String) [], RuntimeException + FullyQualifiedErrorId : NullArray any ideas aand

Wayne Leggett Jr.
    Participant

I got it figured out

Profile photo of Jonathan Warnken
    Jonathan Warnken
    Participant

It is the way you are trying to populate the $RenameTable

I used this it test the concept

$RenameTable = @{}
    Get-Content newnames.txt |ForEach-Object {
        $temp = $_.Split('|')
        $RenameTable[$temp[0]] = $temp[1]
    }

This holds the line being read from the newnames.txt file in the $temp variable. This is an array created by the split on the "|". Using the 0 value in place of $oldname and the 1 value in place of $newname should work for you.

Wayne Leggett Jr.
    Participant

that solved it for me perfectly thank you very much

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.