SxS modules

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Michael Maher Michael Maher 7 months, 1 week ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Michael Maher
    Michael Maher
    Participant

Hi Folks,

I've installed two versions of a module like below.

Directory: C:\Program Files\WindowsPowerShell\Modules

ModuleType Version    Name                                ExportedCommands
    ---------- -------    ----                                ----------------
    Binary     2.4.0.44   ISESteroids                         {Add-SteroidsContextMenuCommand, Add-SteroidsEditorTabComm...
    Binary     2.3.0.64   ISESteroids                         {Add-SteroidsContextMenuCommand, Add-SteroidsEditorTabComm...

Is it safe to assume the newest version of the Cmdlet will always run?

PS Library:\> gcm -Module isesteroids

CommandType     Name                                               Version    Source
    -----------     ----                                               -------    ------
    Cmdlet          Add-SteroidsContextMenuCommand                     2.4.0.44   ISESteroids
    Cmdlet          Add-SteroidsEditorTabCommand                       2.4.0.44   ISESteroids
    Cmdlet          Add-SteroidsLicense                                2.4.0.44   ISESteroids
    Cmdlet          Add-SteroidsTextChange                             2.4.0.44   ISESteroids
    Cmdlet          Add-SteroidsTool                                   2.4.0.44   ISESteroids

Thanks,

Michael

Profile photo of Jonathan Warnken
    Jonathan Warnken
    Participant

it is not safe to assume that the newest version will always run. June Blender has a great presentation covering version chaos. The powerpoint and scripts are in github https://github.com/juneb/AvoidVersionChaos

Profile photo of Michael Maher
    Michael Maher
    Participant

Thanks Jonathan, I was not at the conference but follow June on Twitter. I did flick through these when June put them up but forgot about them since.

I reviewed the slides again and like you said you get the first version of the module discovered that meets the specification.

So some of the suggestions . . .

* Use the -version parameter with Import-Module

* Remove-Module when no longer needed

* Use the module qualified name, for example: PSCX\Expand-Archive

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.