System.Collections.Hashtable vs @{key=value} as return of the same code

Welcome Forums General PowerShell Q&A System.Collections.Hashtable vs @{key=value} as return of the same code

• This topic has 2 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by
    Participant
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant
      Topics: 10
      Replies: 11

Hello,

I have script which scans local network and get some informations from hosts. For this I use below code:

I wrote two sections, one for PowerShell greater than than 5, and second section for older versions of PowerShell (for example ver 2 in Windows 7). This is because version older than 5 cannot use “Get-CimInstance” command.

If it’s scanned computer with Win 10 and PS 5 it returns hashtable:

And when is scanned computer with Win 7 and PS 2 it returns object System.Collections.Hashtable.

Why is that?

Best Regadrs

Daniel

Please look at screen below:

Participant
      Topics: 2
      Replies: 382
      Helping Hand

The [PSCustomObject] type accelerator was introduced in version 3.  I expect version 2 is ignoring the type declaration and just creating a hashtable.

If you pipe it to Get-Member you should find that Windows 10 is returning an object of type System.Management.Automation.PSCustomObject

For version 2, I think you’re going to have to revert to New-Object and Add-Member.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Matt Bloomfield. Reason: Formatting
      Participant
      Topics: 5
      Replies: 177
      Helping Hand

For version 2 it can be a little simpler by using the hashtable and not doing Add-Member for each property.  In fact this works for newer versions of PS as well so you could move this outside of your if statement and do for all like this:

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.