Tabulate property values?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Peter Jurgens Peter Jurgens 1 year, 5 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Michael Hammond
    Michael Hammond

I'm looking to be able to query a data source (Active Directory though any other should suffice), where I pull in the values in a property, and also calculate how many occurrences of each value are present in that list.

So assuming AD Users:

Name Title
    _____ _____
    Bob Manager
    Alice Executive
    Charlie Manager

I want to say something like Get-ADUser -filter * -property title | select-object title -unique | "magic happens here"

And get a result like:

Title Count
    —— ——–
    Manager 2
    Executive 1

Any ideas? I tried "for-each"ing the unique list back into a retrieval from AD in a subexpression and then pulling out a count, but PowerShell just kept laughing and laughing at me.

Profile photo of Dave Wyatt
    Dave Wyatt

That's more or less what Group-Object does:

Get-ADUser -Filter * -Property Title | Select-Object * | Group-Object -Property Title

I'm not sure if the "Select-Object *" part is necessary or not, but the AD cmdlets sometimes misbehave in a pipeline, so I put it there out of habit and caution.

Profile photo of Rob Simmers
    Rob Simmers

Should be this easy:

Get-ADUser -filter * -property title | Group-Object -Property Title -NoElement | Sort-Object -Property Count
    Profile photo of Michael Hammond
    Michael Hammond

Outstanding. I'm a little embarrassed to realize that Group-Object has been in PowerShell since version 3.0 and I didn't know...

Thanks all for your help!

Profile photo of Peter Jurgens
    Peter Jurgens

Not to rub salt in the wound, but if I recall correctly group-object has been around since PS1.0... Don't be embarrassed, I'm continuously finding out new things with/about PowerShell. IT is a continuous learning experience. Once you consider yourself an expert, you've already fallen behind.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.