Test connectivity to port

This topic contains 13 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of 37mm 37mm 1 year, 5 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of 37mm
    37mm
    Participant

I want to adjust the code to to test connectivity to a port lets say 3 times. If all 3 fail to then send an email. I presume a counter is my solution but I am at an impass. This is what I have but I know there is a better way! Cheers fellas

### Port Test
    $25Port  = Test-NetConnection 8.8.8.8 -Port 25 -InformationLevel Quiet 

### IF statment to Test the Port
    if ($25Port -match "False")
    {    
        {
            {
                {
                $sentemail = Send-MailMessage -From $From -to $To -Cc $Cc -Subject $Subject -Body $Body -SmtpServer $SMTPServer -port $SMTPPort -UseSsl -Credential $Credentials
                }
            }
        }
    } 

Profile photo of Mark Hammonds
    Mark Hammonds
    Participant

Maybe some thing like this?

for($i = 0; $i -lt 3; $I++){
    	if(Test-NetConnection 8.8.8.8 -Port 25 -InformationLevel Quiet){"Port Open"}
    }
    elseif($I -eq 3){
    Send-MailMessage -From $From -to $To -Cc $Cc -Subject $Subject -Body $Body -SmtpServer $SMTPServer -port $SMTPPort -UseSsl -Credential $Credentials
                }
    }

Profile photo of 37mm
    37mm
    Participant

yep, and I dont need the variable in there, that was a mistake. I will try it now thanks

$sentemail = Send-MailMessage -From $From -to $To -Cc $Cc -Subject $Subject -Body $Body -SmtpServer $SMTPServer -port $SMTPPort -UseSsl -Credential $Credentials

should just be this

Send-MailMessage -From $From -to $To -Cc $Cc -Subject $Subject -Body $Body -SmtpServer $SMTPServer -port $SMTPPort -UseSsl -Credential $Credentials

Profile photo of 37mm
    37mm
    Participant

It doesn't execute the elseif statement {piece} in my testing of it.

I see you edited the code let me retry

Profile photo of 37mm
    37mm
    Participant

Unexpected token 'elseif' in expression or statement.

Mark Hammonds
    Participant

oops thats why you dont edit in note pad lol had one to many } also forgot to break out of lookp on success. try that. 😀 as you can see im learning too.

for($i = 0; $i -lt 3; $I++){
    	if(Test-NetConnection 8.8.8.8 -Port 25 -InformationLevel Quiet){
    "Port Open" 
    Break
        }

elseif($I -eq 3){
    }
    }

Profile photo of Chris Wolfenden
    Chris Wolfenden
    Participant

A slight rework of Mark's code:

$fail = 0
    for($i = 0; $i -lt 3; $i++){
    	if(Test-NetConnection 8.8.8.8 -Port 25 -InformationLevel Quiet){"Port Open"}
    	else{
    		$fail ++
    		if ($fail -eq 3){
    		}
    	}
    }

Mark Hammonds
    Participant

OOOO Chris has better code no need for the Break out.

Profile photo of 37mm
    37mm
    Participant

Awesome, works great. Now What is going with the For (?) and the $fail++ , to expand what are these doing?

Mark Hammonds
    Participant

$Fail is equal to 0 at beginning of script $Fail++ enumerates it + 1 for every loop until it gets to 3 . a similar thing is happening in the For loop it is adding 1 to $i until it gets to 3

when ever a variable has an integer in it and you do ++ you increment it + 1.

its like saying
    $fail = 0
    $Fail = $Fail + 1

I hope I explained that well I came from VB and sometimes my logic is off.

Chris Wolfenden
    Participant

$fail++ is equivalent to $fail = $fail + 1. In other words add 1 to $fail variable (keep track of the failures). If you hit 3 failures, send message.

As far as the for loop, a for loop is an old iteration loop found in majority of programming languages. Someone else might be able to point you to a good article or write-up on it, but in general the syntax is:

for (INITIALIZATION; CONDITION; AFTERTHOUGHT)
    {
    // Code for the for-loop's body goes here.
    }

INITIALIZATION – Runs before the for loop is executed, in our example it initialized $i = 0.
    CONDITION – After each iteration the condition is checked. If true, the for loop iterates again, if false the for loop is complete
    AFTERTHOUGHT – Runs upon completion of each iteration of the loop. In our example, adds 1 to $i.

Chris Wolfenden
    Participant

Ooops Mark beat me to it.

Profile photo of 37mm
    37mm
    Participant

Thanks Fellas

Profile photo of 37mm
    37mm
    Participant

Very thorough explanation Really appreciate it!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.