The directory service is busy

Welcome Forums DSC (Desired State Configuration) The directory service is busy

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by

Keymaster
1 week, 1 day ago.

• Author

Participant

Hello to all,

I am wondering if anyone else had the same issue?  I created configuration that install my domain, create a groups, users, OU's and join servers to a domain. Everything is working good except that sometimes I receive this message. Directory is busy.

Computer 'WIN-KSSBD0C4JPQ' was successfully joined to the new domain 'tp.com', but renaming it to 'FSG1' failed with the following error message: The directory service is busy.

+ CategoryInfo          : OperationStopped: (WIN-KSSBD0C4JPQ:) [], CimException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : FailToRenameAfterJoinDomain,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.AddComputerCommand

+ PSComputerName        : 172.26.14.214

What this means directory is busy? Does this mean that domain is overloaded or this means that server is overloaded and cannot be renamed and how to avoid this? Is there a way to put start-sleep or something into configuration so that if I have 10 servers that need to join to a domain I don't get this Directory is busy warning.

Best Regards,

Thomas

Keymaster

It means the domain controller sent a message to get out of it's hair. It's either busy, or the computer object in question is locked by another process. I'd normally only expect that to happen on a deeply beleaguered DC.

I'd normally rename the computer and THEN join the domain.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.