The length of the string is 205, but it must be less than or equal to 20 charact

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Richard Siddaway 2 weeks, 4 days ago.

• Author

Noel
    Participant

Hi,

I'm trying to assign a permission set to a user in NAV. Similar to assigning a group in AD.
    I'm dong the following:

$SourceUser = 'domain\user1'
    $DestinationUser = 'domain\user2'
    $SourceGroups = Get-NAVServerUserPermissionSet -ServerInstance "Server" -WindowsAccount $SourceUser |  select PermissionSetID
    $SourceGroupsresult  = $SourceGroups | Out-String
    New-NavServerUserPermissionSet -ServerInstance "Server" -WindowsAccount $DestinationUser -PermissionSetId $SourceGroupsresult

I get the following error:

New-NavServerUserPermissionSet : The length of the string is 205, but it must be less than or equal to 20 characters. Value: PermissionSetID     
    ---------------     
    Perm_set1              
    Perm_set2
    Perm_set3  
    Perm_set4               
    Pe...
    At line:1 char:1
    + New-NavServerUserPermissionSet -ServerInstance "Server" -Windows ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (0:Int32) [New-NAVServerUserPermissionSet], FaultException`1
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : MicrosoftDynamicsNavServer$Server,Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Management.Cmdlets.NewNavServerUserPermissionSet

Can anyone help?

Richard Siddaway

I'd check the contents of $SourceGroupsresult.
    I suspect you have multiple ids in there rather than the 1 that's expected

Noel
      Participant

hi Richard,

Yep, there's about 6 or 7 results in the out string for the permissionsetID.
      How would I then get around this that I can use the 6 or 7 results?

Thanks

Simon B
    Participant

could you not use something like below ?

foreach ($result in $SourceGroupsresult)

{
    New-NavServerUserPermissionSet -ServerInstance "Server" -WindowsAccount $DestinationUser -PermissionSetId $result
    }

Noel
      Participant

hi Simon,

Running as you suggested, I get the error message as before.
      When I change it a little to run it on the variable result:

foreach ($result in $SourceGroups)
      {
      New-NavServerUserPermissionSet -ServerInstance "Server" -WindowsAccount $DestinationUser -PermissionSetId $result
      }

I get the following:
      New-NavServerUserPermissionSet : The length of the string is 24, but it must be less than or equal to 20 characters. Value: @{PermissionSetID=SetPe}

This error message continues for every permission set. So I end up with 8 error messages in total.

Thanks

Simon B
    Participant

I would see what is in $result and see if I needed to trim any data out of it.

Noel
      Participant

It looks like I'd have to trim this part @{PermissionSetID= and at the end this bracket: }
      Something like this then?
      $result = $result.TrimStart(@{ }, "PermissionSetID=")

Richard Siddaway

You could try

$SourceGroups = Get-NAVServerUserPermissionSet -ServerInstance "Server" -WindowsAccount $SourceUser |  
    select -first 1 |
    select -expandproperty PermissionSetID

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.