The [regex] thing...

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Don Jones Don Jones 2 years, 1 month ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of JC
    JC
    Participant

I'm just looking thrugh a script that contains following line

$x = [regex]::match($text,'?).+(?=\)',"singleline").value.trim()

Would someone mind explaining what's going on here?
    I'm guessing the expression is looking thrugh the contents of text contained in variable $text to fined a match for the word "domain" but if it was that simple it would only be $text -match "domain" so what's all the rest doing then?

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones
    Keymaster

Well... that isn't really "PowerShell" code, it's .NET code.

This:

match($text,'?).+(?=\)',"singleline")

is basically the same as using -match. The static Match() method isn't precisely the same syntax as -match, but you can accomplish the same stuff.

The rest:

.value.trim()

Is taking the result of the match and removing leading and trailing whitespace. You could obviously do that in PowerShell using a couple of different forms of syntax.

This isn't so much a question of one approach being better than another; it's likely the person who wrote that was just more comfortable with that syntax, and PowerShell lets you use it. Almost anything in PowerShell can be done in ten different ways.

Profile photo of JC
    JC
    Participant

Thanks Don. .NET eh. Now I know I can safely convert this to something I'm more familar with. When looking up regular expressions in Powershell I often seen references to Perl. I suppoese it's yet another method of doing things in Powershell.

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones
    Keymaster

Well, yes and no. Perl has a specific regex syntax; .NET doesn't use exactly that. There are other variants of the syntax, too.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.