transcription logging to network share, what permissions are required

Welcome Forums General PowerShell Q&A transcription logging to network share, what permissions are required

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by

Jon

Participant
6 months ago.

• Author

Participant

not sure if anyone else has configured this yet, just trying to get a handle on required permissions.
    thus far if the user has modify permissions on the share, everything works.
    obviously, this isn't ideal for logging and history tracking.

we have tried with just write permissions, write and create files/folders given, in this configuration the initial log file is created, however when commands are executed, the log is never updated.

just trying to wrap my head around the whole thing and wanted to see if anyone else had successfully enabled this to a network location.

Participant
    Helping Hand

The user and computer would need full control on the share, and NTFS read, write, modify.

If you do not, eventually you will run into issue. Trust me, been there done that.
    Remember, even if the user is not logged on, the computer could be running PoSH code (think maintenance jobs, scheduled tasks, etc.)

Jon

Participant

I scoped it out to authenticated users, full control on the share and the following NTFS permissions:

List folder/read data
    Read attributes
    Read extended attributes
    Create files/write data
    Create folders/append data
    Write attributes
    Write extended attributes

The topic ‘transcription logging to network share, what permissions are required’ is closed to new replies.