Trigger a consistency check

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Micky Balladelli Micky Balladelli 1 year, 4 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Joe

I have a target svr that is configured as a pull client and the LCM runs the consistency check at the configured interval, but I was wondering if there is anyway I could manually trigger the consistency check from powershell? Right now I do this by triggering the consistency scheduled task, but I'm not sure if this is recommend.

Start-ScheduledTask -TaskPath '\Microsoft\Windows\Desired State Configuration' -TaskName 'Consistency' -Verbose

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones

See "The DSC Book" (Resources menu / eBooks on this website). There's a WMI call you can make to rigger it. You need to be a bit careful in doing so; there's a reason the minimum interval is 15min. Make sure a check isn't already running before triggering another one.

Profile photo of Joe

Hi Don,

Sorry for being a pain, but I wasnt able to find that in the dsc book. Do you know the chapter by any chance?

Profile photo of Palmar

If you have a recent version of WMF (I think this one was in the november preview) you can use the cmdlet "update-dscconfiguration"

Profile photo of Zuldan

Hi Joe, to force a consistency check you can use the following

Invoke-CimMethod -CimSession MyComputerName -Name PerformRequiredConfigurationChecks -Namespace root/Microsoft/Windows/DesiredStateConfiguration -Arguments @{Flags=[Uint32]2} -ClassName MSFT_DscLocalConfigurationManager -Verbose

Update-DscConfiguration will only perform a consistency check if the MOF file checksum fails and a new configuration is brought down

Profile photo of Micky Balladelli
    Micky Balladelli

I use Test-DscConfiguration -cimsession -verbose

It will return whether the remote node(s) is(are) in the desired configuration by triggering the Test-TargetResource function of all the resources in the configuration. The verbose param is quite useful.

Is this what you were looking for?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.