Trouble with Get-Aduser from CSV

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Dave Wyatt Dave Wyatt 1 year, 4 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Michael Arnold
    Michael Arnold
    Participant

Trying to Get-Aduser based on description. I have a csv with a list of serial numbers. These are added to the description field of Ad users. When I run my code nothing returns.
    CSV:
    Description
    5CD50801ZC
    98VGJ42
    J8TFJ42
    6NVFJ42
    7PQFJ42
    1GTFJ42

Code:
    `
    $csv = Import-Csv C:\scripting\chromebook1.csv 

foreach ($line in $csv)
    {get-aduser -Filter {description -like $line} -SearchBase 'OU=LEADERSHIP,DC=DS,DC=NET'}
    `

Profile photo of Dave Wyatt
    Dave Wyatt

Two things here: One, the -Like operator requires some wildcards, if you're planning to look for a string that contains something else. Also, you need to be looking at $line.Description, rather than just $line. Try this:

$csv = Import-Csv C:\scripting\chromebook1.csv 

foreach ($line in $csv)
    {
        get-aduser -Filter "description -like '*$($line.Description)*'" -SearchBase 'OU=LEADERSHIP,DC=DS,DC=NET'
    }

I've changed your -Filter argument from a script block literal to a double-quoted string, based on past experience with the AD cmdlets where sometimes the script block syntax doesn't work the way you expect it to.

Michael Arnold
    Participant

That work, thanks!

Question, why is the "$" required outside of the ($line.description)?

Michael Arnold
    Participant

Profile photo of Dave Wyatt
    Dave Wyatt

That's a sub-expression operator, and is what you use in strings when you want to expand something more complex than just a simple variable name. Otherwise, $line would get expanded, and the text ".Description" would become a literal part of the string, which is not what we want.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.