Trying to extract and execute TSQL commands larger than 8K

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Roustam Akhmetov Roustam Akhmetov 1 year, 7 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Roustam Akhmetov
    Roustam Akhmetov
    Participant

Hi,

I am trying to do the following:
    $Query = "SELECT [ScriptText] FROM MyDB.[MySchema].[DBScripts] where DBName = 'ABC' and ScriptName = '13-StoredProcedures.sql'"
    $Script = Invoke-Sqlcmd -query $Query
    $Script[0]
    Invoke-Sqlcmd -query $Script[0]

I am getting an error message about some unclosed quotation mark and the value of the $script variable is truncated to around 8KB.

Even though the below query tells that the length of the string is 2543909 characters.

SELECT len([ScriptText]) FROM MyDB.[MySchema].[DBScripts] where DBName = 'ABC' and ScriptName = '13-StoredProcedures.sql'

Any idea how can I extract and execute the large script?

Thanks.

Profile photo of Rob Simmers
    Rob Simmers
    Participant

Hey Roustam,

Take a look at these tips for SQL and Powershell: http://blogs.technet.com/b/heyscriptingguy/archive/2013/05/06/10-tips-for-the-sql-server-powershell-scripter.aspx

Specifically #4 references what I believe is your issue, which is by default Invoke-SQLCmd only returns 4000 characters. There is a -MaxCharLength that can make it larger. If you run "Select Max(Len([ScriptText])) MyDB.[MySchema].[DBScripts] where DBName = 'ABC' and ScriptName = '13-StoredProcedures.sql'", it should tell you the largest script size and use that to get your adjustment.

Profile photo of Roustam Akhmetov
    Roustam Akhmetov
    Participant

Thanks Rob, this solved my problem.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.