Trying to get hash table working in DSC

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Paul Gonzalez Paul Gonzalez 1 year, 10 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Paul Gonzalez
    Paul Gonzalez
    Participant

I have DSC working with 2 nodes. Pull server and nodes are 2008R2. Simple mof, one Guid, IIS install works. Now I want to take it one step forward and use a hash table. The goal is to add and remove nodes from the hash table at will and leave the mof alone. Doing this in steps so I'll want more out of it later but I'm brand new to PS so clearly there are some basic stumbling blocks. So I have this;

Configuration AllNodeIIS {

Node $AllNodes.where{$_.Role -eq "Web"}.NodeName
    {
    # Install the IIS role
    WindowsFeature IIS
    {
    Ensure = "Present"
    Name = "Web-Server"
    }
    }
    }
    AllNodeIIS -ConfigData $VariableNameHoldingConfigData -Verbose;
    #My thought is this would create the mof and call the hash table. Then this is the hash table;

#hash table for all nodes
    $AllNodeIIS =
    @{
    AllNodes = @(

@{
    NodeName = "real node name"
    Role = "Web"
    },

@{
    NodeName = "real node name"
    Role = "Web"
    }

);

}
    Without “AllNodeIIS -ConfigData $VariableNameHoldingConfigData -Verbose;” this would run and do nothing. A friend suggested I add this because I needed to invoke the config and I wanted to be able to see what was happening. After I added it I got the message;
    PSDesiredStateConfiguration\Configuration : The term 'PSDesiredStateConfiguration\Configuration' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included,
    verify that the path is correct and try again.
    At line:1 char:1
    + configuration AllNodeIIS {
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (PSDesiredStateC...n\Configuration:String) [], CommandNotFoundException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

I then ran PS C:\Windows\system32> Get-Module and got this;
    ModuleType Version Name ExportedCommands
    ———- ——- —- —————-
    Script 1.0.0.0 ISE {Get-IseSnippet, Import-IseSnippet, New-IseSnippet}
    Manifest 3.1.0.0 Microsoft.PowerShell.Management {Add-Computer, Add-Content, Checkpoint-Computer, Clear-Content...}
    Manifest 3.0.0.0 Microsoft.PowerShell.Security {ConvertFrom-SecureString, ConvertTo-SecureString, Get-Acl, Get-AuthenticodeSignature...}
    Manifest 3.1.0.0 Microsoft.PowerShell.Utility {Add-Member, Add-Type, Clear-Variable, Compare-Object...}
    Manifest 3.0.0.0 Microsoft.WSMan.Management {Connect-WSMan, Disable-WSManCredSSP, Disconnect-WSMan, Enable-WSManCredSSP...}
    Manifest 3.0.2.0 PSDesiredStateConfiguration
    Binary 1.0 PSDesiredStateConfiguration {Set-DscLocalConfigurationManager, Start-DscConfiguration, Configuration, Get-DscConfiguration...}

So it's there, right. Lost right now. It's taking me a long time to get nowhere. Help! Hopefully I've given you enough info to go by. Thanks in advance.

Profile photo of Dave Wyatt
    Dave Wyatt

You're close. Here's some working demo code:

Configuration AllNodeIIS {

Node $AllNodes.where{$_.Role -eq "Web"}.NodeName
        {
            # Install the IIS role
            WindowsFeature IIS
            {
                Ensure = "Present"
                Name = "Web-Server"
            }
        }
    }

$AllNodeIIS =
    @{
        AllNodes = @(

@{
                NodeName = "real node name1"
                Role = "Web"
            },

@{
                NodeName = "real node name2"
                Role = "Web"
            }

);

}

AllNodeIIS -ConfigurationData $AllNodeIIS -Verbose;

You have to define the hashtable before the call to your configuration, and the parameter name is -ConfigurationData, not -ConfigData. (You were also using $VariableNameHoldingConfigData instead of $AllNodeIIS in the call to the configuration.)

Dave Wyatt

Also, make sure you're running the 64-bit version of powershell.exe. Based on that error you reported, I suspect you're running a 32-bit version, and DSC doesn't exist there.

Paul Gonzalez
    Participant

Thanks. I'm going to give this a go.

Paul Gonzalez
    Participant

Still getting this;
    PSDesiredStateConfiguration\Configuration : The term 'PSDesiredStateConfiguration\Configuration' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included,
    verify that the path is correct and try again.
    At line:1 char:1
    + Configuration AllNodeIIS {
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (PSDesiredStateC...n\Configuration:String) [], CommandNotFoundException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

Definitely using 64 bit. Anything else I can look at? I have to be missing something basic. Thanks!

Dave Wyatt

Unless something has gone wrong with your PS installation, I'm not sure what would cause that. Try running these commands:

Get-Module -ListAvailable PSDesiredStateConfiguration

Get-Command -Module PSDesiredStateConfiguration

Here are the results I get from those commands on my computer (Windows 8.1 with the WMF 5.0 November Preview):

C:\Users\dlwya_000\Documents\GitHub> Get-Module -ListAvailable PSDesiredStateConfiguration

Directory: C:\WINDOWS\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules

ModuleType Version    Name                                ExportedCommands
    ---------- -------    ----                                ----------------
    Manifest   1.0        PSDesiredStateConfiguration         {Set-DscLocalConfigurationManager, Start-DscConfiguration,...

C:\Users\dlwya_000\Documents\GitHub> Get-Command -Module PSDesiredStateConfiguration

CommandType     Name                                               Version    Source
    -----------     ----                                               -------    ------
    Function        Configuration                                      1.0        PSDesiredStateConfiguration
    Function        Find-DscResource                                   1.0        PSDesiredStateConfiguration
    Function        Get-DscConfiguration                               1.0        PSDesiredStateConfiguration
    Function        Get-DscConfigurationStatus                         1.0        PSDesiredStateConfiguration
    Function        Get-DscLocalConfigurationManager                   1.0        PSDesiredStateConfiguration
    Function        Get-DscResource                                    1.0        PSDesiredStateConfiguration
    Function        New-DSCCheckSum                                    1.0        PSDesiredStateConfiguration
    Function        Restore-DscConfiguration                           1.0        PSDesiredStateConfiguration
    Function        Test-DscConfiguration                              1.0        PSDesiredStateConfiguration
    Cmdlet          Compare-DscConfiguration                           1.0        PSDesiredStateConfiguration
    Cmdlet          Publish-DscConfiguration                           1.0        PSDesiredStateConfiguration
    Cmdlet          Set-DscLocalConfigurationManager                   1.0        PSDesiredStateConfiguration
    Cmdlet          Start-DscConfiguration                             1.0        PSDesiredStateConfiguration
    Cmdlet          Update-DscConfiguration                            1.0        PSDesiredStateConfiguration

Edit: Ignore all the HTML escape bits. That's our forum software trying to be helpful (and failing.)

Paul Gonzalez
    Participant

Thanks Dave. The first one returns this;
    Windows PowerShell
    Copyright (C) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

PS C:\Windows\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0> Get-Module -ListAvailable PSDesiredStateConfiguration

Directory: C:\Program Files\WindowsPowerShell\Modules

———- ——- —- —————-

Directory: C:\Windows\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules\backup

———- ——- —- —————-

Directory: C:\Windows\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules

———- ——- —- —————-
    Binary 1.0 PSDesiredStateConfiguration {Set-DscLocalConfigurationManager, Start-DscConfiguration,...

PS C:\Windows\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0>

The second command returns nothing. Just goes back to the prompt. I'm starting to think I broke something in testing. I used your instructions to set this up (Thanks btw). I probably need to go back to some point and redo some things. What point do I need to go back to? Thanks. Going out to shovel 2 feet of snow. I'll check back in a bit. Thanks!

PG

Dave Wyatt

OK, you should remove or rename "C:\Program Files\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\PSDesiredStateConfiguration" and "C:\Windows\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules\backup\PSDesiredStateConfiguration"; those are screwing you up. (And I have no idea why that "backup" location even exists or is on your PSModulePath.

Paul Gonzalez
    Participant

Dave you rock. That was it. Now I get;
    PS C:\Windows\system32> Get-Module -ListAvailable PSDesiredStateConfiguration

Directory: C:\Windows\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules

———- ——- —- —————-
    Binary 1.0 PSDesiredStateConfiguration {Set-DscLocalConfigurationManager, Start-DscConfiguration, Configuration, Get-DscConfiguration...}

PS C:\Windows\system32> Get-Command -Module PSDesiredStateConfiguration

CommandType Name ModuleName
    ———– —- ———-
    Function Configuration PSDesiredStateConfiguration
    Function Get-DscConfiguration PSDesiredStateConfiguration
    Function Get-DscLocalConfigurationManager PSDesiredStateConfiguration
    Function Get-DscResource PSDesiredStateConfiguration
    Function New-DSCCheckSum PSDesiredStateConfiguration
    Function Restore-DscConfiguration PSDesiredStateConfiguration
    Function Test-DscConfiguration PSDesiredStateConfiguration
    Cmdlet Set-DscLocalConfigurationManager PSDesiredStateConfiguration
    Cmdlet Start-DscConfiguration

Also the original reason for my post, the configuration works. The mofs were created for the nodes listed in the hash. However I have another question related to this. My understanding is that I could have a ps1 file (top of the script) that points to a psd1 file (hash, holding the nodes) bottom of the script. That way any time I wanted to add or remove nodes I could just change the hash. Am I completely wrong? Is the one file the only way to do this? Again, thanks!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.