Need help in installing Windows Feature

Welcome Forums General PowerShell Q&A Need help in installing Windows Feature

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant
      Topics: 3
      Replies: 10

Hello, I am trying to install Windows Feature, but it is not Available when I enter Get-Help Feature. It says that I need to update my Help, but that fails and I get the error below. I someone can help me update my help I possibly can get the command to be able to install Windows Features. Thanks much.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TJ19apMFjyKwakUH3SIU2uJHq9WPcYWY/view?usp=sharing

If this link does not work is there a way to upload the PS error to my question? I see where there is an insert image, but that does not allow me to browse to the image.

• This topic was modified 3 months ago by kvprasoon.
      • This topic was modified 3 months ago by kvprasoon. Reason: Moving to right forum
      Participant
      Topics: 7
      Replies: 2458
      Helping Hand

Hello, I am trying to install Windows Feature, but it is not Available when I enter Get-Help Feature.

Have you tried to search for it online? I’d search for “Powershell Install Windows Feature

is there a way to upload the PS error to my question?

Simply post the text of the error message formatted as code.

Participant

Can I ask you this: I am in the section of the book I am using to learn PS that is Working with PS Modules. These appear to be all the Modules I have on my Windows 10 machine:

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> get-module

ModuleType Version Name ExportedCommands
      ———- ——- —- —————-
      Script 1.0.0.0 ISE {Get-IseSnippet, Import-IseSnippet, New-IseSnippet}
      Manifest 3.1.0.0 Microsoft.PowerShell.Management {Add-Computer, Add-Content, Checkpoint-Computer, Clear…
      Manifest 3.1.0.0 Microsoft.PowerShell.Utility {Add-Member, Add-Type, Clear-Variable, Compare-Object…}

Do I need to update my PS library to include Install -WindowsFeature so it will be there when I enter Get-Help “feature?” I did search the web and it talks about installing Roles and Features on Windows 2012 servers.

Thanks for your reply.

Participant
      Topics: 16
      Replies: 1842
      Helping Hand

Features are Windows Server OS components with a module supplementing Server Manager, not Windows client components (e.g. Windows 10).

Senior Moderator
      Topics: 9
      Replies: 1408
      Helping Hand

Two things here,

When using Get-Help , PowerShell will suggest to update help regardless on what you are executing Get-Help cmdlet, in this case “feature”. When executing Get-Help against all modules (default), it can fail for few for many reasons.

With, Get-Help “feature” should return any cmdlet which has feature in the name, so the initial suggestion that you got to update help is not related to availability of *Feature* cmdlet. By default Win 10 should have *-WindowsOptional feature cmdlets which is part of DISM module.

Participant

Hi Rob, I thought I could run through these commands even though I was just working on Windows 10, but maybe not. I do have a Windows Server 2012 R2 computer. So, these features would be available on that? Thank you forĀ  your assistance.

Participant

Hi Kvprasoon, I do have -WindowsOptional feature. I guess I can experiment with what I have to hopefully learn something. Thank you for your response.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Need help in installing Windows Feature’ is closed to new replies.