Unable to load modules or get-command for installed Modules

Tagged: 

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Jamie Smith Jamie Smith 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Jamie Smith
    Jamie Smith
    Participant

Hi

I am having an issue when trying to load modules into Powershell? I think it not loading the modules in the correct path? How do I know where the modules are installed when using install-module from the PSGallery? I am running PowerShell version 5.0.10514.6 and if I run Get-InstalledModule it list Version Name
    ——- —-
    0.5.0.0 AwsDscToolkit
    0.1 AWSExt
    3.1.87.0 AWSPowerShell
    1.6.0 Azure
    1.1.5 Azure.Storage
    1.0.11 AzureRM.Automation
    1.0.11 AzureRM.profile
    0.0.0.13 Docker.PowerShell
    2.0.1.4 DSCAdd-one
    0.3.0.0 DscResourceCommonTests
    0.3.0.0 DscResourceTestHelper
    1.0 DSC_PowerCLISnapShotCheck
    1.7.4 Image2Docker
    2.5.2.0 ISESteroids
    4.2.3 NTFSSecurity
    1.6 PSVersion

but I can't get-command for any listed installed Modules? such as Get-Command -Module Image2Docker should show me the full list of the commands for Image2Docker Module but it comes back with nothing?
    is there a way to find out if they are in the correct Path? or where the modules are so I can move them to the directory which is in my $ENV:Path

Profile photo of Christian Sandfeld
    Christian Sandfeld
    Participant

When you install modules using Install-Module, it will install to 'C:\Program Files\WindowsPowerShell\Modules' (by default) or 'C:\Users\\Documents\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\'. You can control the destination using the -Scope parameter. Default value is 'AllUsers' alternatively you can use 'CurrentUser'.

Get-Command, Import-Module etc. will look for modules in the locations specified in the $env:PSModulePath environment variable.

Check what the paths $env:PSModulePath variable contain

$env:PSModulePath -split ';'

You can add your own paths to that environment variable, just as you would add to the $env:Path variable, so if you don't see what you expect, or if the variable is missing, just create it yourself.

I have previously seen installers such the VMware PowerCLI installer mess up my $env:PSModulePath environment variable, where I had to recreate it manually.

Profile photo of Jamie Smith
    Jamie Smith
    Participant

This is very strange

if I run get-module I get
    ModuleType Name ExportedCommands
    ———- —- —————-
    Binary AWSPowerShell {Update-ESDomainConfig, Get-IAMPolicies, Get-R53GeoLocation, Get-R53DDom...
    Manifest Microsoft.PowerShell.M... {Remove-WmiObject, Remove-EventLog, Add-Computer, Set-Location...}
    Manifest Microsoft.PowerShell.U... {New-Object, Write-Debug, Select-Object, Set-Date...}
    Script PSReadline {Set-PSReadlineOption, Get-PSReadlineOption, Get-PSReadlineKeyHandler, R...

then I run the command

PS C:\Windows\system32> $env:psmodulepath
    C:\Program Files\WindowsPowerShell\Modules;C:\Windows\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules;C:\Program Files (x86)\AWS Tools\PowerShell\;C:\Program Files\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\;C:\Program Files
    (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Azure\PowerShell\ResourceManager\AzureResourceManager\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Azure\PowerShell\ServiceManagement\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Azure\Powe
    rShell\Storage\

So I need to add the local user path C:\Users\jsmith484\WindowsPowershell\Modules
    I run
    PS C:\Windows\system32> $p = [Environment]::GetEnvironmentVariable("PSModulePath")
    PS C:\Windows\system32> $p += "C:\Users\jsmith484\WindowsPowershell\Modules"
    PS C:\Windows\system32> [Environment]::SetEnvironmentVariable("PSModulePath",$p)
    PS C:\Windows\system32> $env:psmodulepath
    C:\Program Files\WindowsPowerShell\Modules;C:\Windows\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules;C:\Program Files (x86)\AWS Tools\PowerShell\;C:\Program Files\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\;C:\Program Files
    (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Azure\PowerShell\ResourceManager\AzureResourceManager\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Azure\PowerShell\ServiceManagement\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Azure\Powe
    rShell\Storage\C:\Users\jsmith484\WindowsPowershell\Modules

and now I can see the user module path C:\Users\jsmith484\WindowsPowershell\Modules but when I run find-module it doesn't work, it returns nothing and if I try to install-module the same?
    If I reboot my PC the User module directory is removed from the path?

any assistance would be appreciated

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.