October 5, 2016 at 7:58 pm #54987
I followed the two sets of instructions below to set up a pull server and a test client.
The test client works fine. I'm able to set the LCM and use an xSQLServer config to create a SQL alias. However, when I tried to add two more clients, I was able to set the LCM but got the following error when running "Update-DscConfiguration -Wait" (I replaced the server name and guid with placeholders).
The attempt to get the action from server
failed because pullserver is not available or there is no registered node with AgentId
00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000 on the server.
+ CategoryInfo : ResourceUnavailable: (root/Microsoft/...gurationManager:String) , CimException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : WebDownloadManagerGetActionNodeConfigurationNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.DesiredStateCo
+ PSComputerName : localhost
Any idea why a second client might fail or in general why the above error might occur?
October 5, 2016 at 8:07 pm #54991
PullServer logs would have more information on whats happening. You can obtain pull server logs using:
Get-WinEvent -LogName "Microsoft-Windows-Powershell-DesiredStateConfiguration-PullServer/Operational" Get-WinEvent -LogName "Microsoft-Windows-ManagementOdataService/Operational"
October 5, 2016 at 9:40 pm #54998
If you can also please link the scripts you used for the pull server and LCM, but mainly the configuration script itself minus the secure items of course, use Gist or PasteBin.
After going through the logs as Nitin suggested, try from each of the failing nodes to simply open a browser and punch the pull server URL. Do you see the web page correctly as an xml response ?
October 8, 2016 at 1:01 pm #55108
So I made a newbie mistake. This is my first attempt at using DSC. When I switched from using a single configuration for all of my nodes to using the ConfigurationNames property of the ConfigurationRepositoryWeb resource, I wasn't paying close enough attention to which nodes I was generating MOF files for since I had already partially automated that process. As it turns out, I was getting the error I posted above when running Update-DscConfiguration on nodes that I hadn't generated MOF files for.
Thanks much for the replies though. I learned a good bit more about DSC troubleshooting by using both of your suggestions.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.