Unable to Update

This topic contains 2 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of Kevin Kevin 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Kevin
    Kevin
    Participant

Hi Guys,

I'm in the process of educating myself in powershell and have an old laptop that I installed Windows 8.1 on and wanted to test and run everything on the latest stable system.
    Now for my question... I was trying to update my help and got the following message.

update-help : Failed to update Help for the module(s) 'Microsoft.PowerShell.Management, ActiveDirectory,
    AppBackgroundTask, AppLocker, Appx, AssignedAccess, BestPractices, BitLocker, BranchCache, CimCmdlets,
    ClusterAwareUpdating, Defender, DFSN, DFSR, DhcpServer, DirectAccessClientComponents, Dism, DnsClient, DnsServer,
    FailoverClusters, GroupPolicy, Hyper-V, International, IpamServer, iSCSI, IscsiTarget, ISE, Kds,
    Microsoft.PowerShell.Diagnostics, Microsoft.PowerShell.Host, Microsoft.PowerShell.Security,
    Microsoft.PowerShell.Utility, Microsoft.WSMan.Management, MMAgent, MsDtc, NetAdapter, NetConnection,
    NetEventPacketCapture, NetLbfo, NetNat, NetQos, NetSecurity, NetSwitchTeam, NetTCPIP, NetWNV,
    NetworkConnectivityStatus, NetworkLoadBalancingClusters, NetworkTransition, NFS, PcsvDevice, PKI, PrintManagement,
    PSDesiredStateConfiguration, PSScheduledJob, PSWorkflow, PSWorkflowUtility, RemoteAccess, RemoteDesktop,
    ScheduledTasks, SecureBoot, ServerManager, ServerManagerTasks, SmbShare, SmbWitness, StartScreen, Storage, TLS,
    TroubleshootingPack, UpdateServices, VpnClient, Wdac, WindowsDeveloperLicense, WindowsErrorReporting, WindowsSearch,
    Microsoft.PowerShell.Core' with UI culture(s) {en-US} : Unable to retrieve the HelpInfo XML file for UI culture en-US.
    Make sure the HelpInfoUri property in the module manifest is valid or check your network connection and then try the
    command again.
    At line:1 char:1
    + update-help
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : ResourceUnavailable: (:) [Update-Help], Exception
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : UnableToRetrieveHelpInfoXml,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.UpdateHelpCommand

update-help : Failed to update Help for the module(s) 'TrustedPlatformModule' with UI culture(s) {en-US} : Unable to
    connect to Help content. The server on which Help content is stored might not be available. Verify that the server is
    available, or wait until the server is back online, and then try the command again.
    + update-help
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : InvalidOperation: (:) [Update-Help], Exception
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : UnableToConnect,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.UpdateHelpCommand

If I did miss something in the error please point it out to me or if you have a solution that would be awesome

I also tried installing the following module from the Powershell Gallery as I'm following the Getting Started with Powershell Desired state Config

Install-Module : The term 'Install-Module' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or
    operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try
    again.
    + Install-Module -Name MVA_DSC_2015_DAY1
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (Install-Module:String) [], CommandNotFoundException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

If anyone can point out my mistake that would be awesome thanks once again.

Profile photo of Kevin
    Kevin
    Participant

After checking I installed all update I got the the help to work but still unable to get the Install-Module to work.

I will continue to look for a solution.

Profile photo of Kevin
    Kevin
    Participant

So after load and loads of updates my powershell is working

So for future reference when in doubt just run updates and make sure your windows has the latest updates.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.