Welcome Forums General PowerShell Q&A Uninstall multiple Software

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by

Participant
8 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Participant

Hello everyone,
    I'm sorry for poor English.
    I would like to start with Powershell. First I want to explore the possibilities to configure my local computer (Windows 10) with Powershell. I try, in my opinion a simple thing, to uninstall multiple software packages. But it seems it's still not so easy for me.

I wrote this and I got no error, but it doesn't work. Obviously I don't understand it yet. Can you tell me how it works please? Thank you.

PS C:\> get-package -name *sapien*

Name                           Version          Source                           ProviderName
    ----                           -------          ------                           ------------
    SAPIEN Document Explorer 2018  3.1.82.0                                          Programs
    SAPIEN PowerShell Studio 2018  5.5.149.0                                         Programs
    SAPIEN ScriptMerge 2018        1.3.74.0                                          Programs

PS C:\> get-package -name *sapien* | uninstall-package
    PS C:\> get-package -name *sapien*

Name                           Version          Source                           ProviderName
    ----                           -------          ------                           ------------
    SAPIEN Document Explorer 2018  3.1.82.0                                          Programs
    SAPIEN PowerShell Studio 2018  5.5.149.0                                         Programs
    SAPIEN ScriptMerge 2018        1.3.74.0                                          Programs

PS C:\>

Keymaster
    Helping HandTeam Member

The docs actually have the clue, I think. If you look at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/packagemanagement/get-package?view=powershell-6, you'll see where it says, "Returns a list of all software packages that have been installed by using Package Management."

If the package wasn't installed by Install-Package, then Uninstall-Package can't usually remove it.

Participant

I see now. It means, software which I installed by "double click" have to uninstall by "Programs and Features"?

Keymaster
    Helping HandTeam Member

Or by manually running their uninstaller, if they have one. For some programs, you can also use Win32_Product, which return instances having an Uninstall() method.

Participant

Ah, ok. Thanks. I will tinker something. By the way, your YouTube videos aroused my interest to play with Powershell. You're a funny guy. 😉

Participant

I think I initially replied to the wrong post.

The topic ‘Uninstall multiple Software’ is closed to new replies.