Update-Help Fails for module 'WindowsUpdateProvider

Welcome Forums General PowerShell Q&A Update-Help Fails for module 'WindowsUpdateProvider

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by

Participant
4 weeks, 1 day ago.

• Author

Participant

Hi!

I'm still relatively new to the joys of PowerShell, so forgive me if this is something obvious. Lately, updating help repeatedly fails but only for one module – WindowsUpdateProvider. This is the exact error message I get:

Update-Help : Failed to update Help for the module(s) 'WindowsUpdateProvider' with UI culture(s)
    {en-US} : Unable to retrieve the HelpInfo XML file for UI culture en-US. Make sure the HelpInfoUri
    property in the module manifest is valid or check your network connection and then try the command
    again.
    At line:1 char:1
    + Update-Help
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : ResourceUnavailable: (:) [Update-Help], Exception
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : UnableToRetrieveHelpInfoXml,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.UpdateHelpComm
    and

I found this one article online that references it may just be that it's not being developed?

I'm sure I can safely ignore, just curious if anyone was aware of a work-around or knew something more about it than me...

Participant
    Helping Hand

you can refer to below post, it's about the same.

https://powershell.org/forums/topic/update-help-failure/

Participant

I just got the exact same message as I tried to run PS ISE 5.1 on a brand-new laptop (Win1o).

Mr KVprasoon's referenced solution works.  As stated in the answer, I typed

update-help -force -Ea 0 -Ev ErrMsgDetail

and it worked without any error messages.  For what it's worth, I ran "Update-help" in Powershell Core 6.1 and did not get any such error message.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.