Updating Custom DSC Resources on Pull Server

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Tyson J. Hayes Tyson J. Hayes 2 years, 4 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Tyson J. Hayes
    Tyson J. Hayes
    Participant

I've got my pull server setup with some resources and have successfully pushed to my client machines. I wanted to update the module and have it pushed down to the client. I made my modifications modified the version number of the module, compressed it added the version number, created the checksum and placed it into the configured directory. However when running the update I get the following error:

VERBOSE: Performing the operation "Invoke-CimMethod: PerformRequiredConfigurationChecks" on target "MSFT_DscLocalConfigurationManager".
    VERBOSE: Perform operation 'Invoke CimMethod' with following parameters, ''methodName' = PerformRequiredConfigurationChecks,'className' =
    MSFT_DscLocalConfigurationManager,'namespaceName' = root/microsoft/windows/desiredstateconfiguration'.
    VERBOSE: An LCM method call arrived from computer LSPLAB02 with user sid S-1-5-21-2127521184-1604012920-1887927527-6010656.
    Invoke-CimMethod : Installation of module xWebAdministration failed since the module directory already exists at C:\Program
    Files\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\xWebAdministration.
    At line:1 char:1
    + Invoke-CimMethod -ComputerName LSPLAB02  -Namespace root/microsoft/windows/des ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : ResourceExists: (root/microsoft/...gurationManager:String) [Invoke-CimMethod], CimException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ModuleDirectoryAlreadyExists,Microsoft.Management.Infrastructure.CimCmdlets.InvokeCimMethodCommand
        + PSComputerName        : T10LSPLAB02

VERBOSE: Operation 'Invoke CimMethod' complete.

Now I'm pretty sure I can get around this by deleting the files on the client and running the update again but I was hoping to not have to do this. Am I missing something obvious?

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones
    Keymaster

There's a configuration option in the LCM settings to allow module overwrite; it's off by default.

Profile photo of Tyson J. Hayes
    Tyson J. Hayes
    Participant

And of course now that you say that I actually see it in the documentation. [url]http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn249922.aspx[/url]

Thanks Don!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.