Use Custom Object propery in Custom Object Script

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  graybin 3 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

graybin
    Participant

I want to create a custom object with some properties, and some scripts that use those properties. I can figure out how to access the properties from within the script. Function that creates the object. Once property is "Count". I have a ScriptMethod called "Step" that I would like to refer to the "Count" property defined.

Function Create-ProgressBar{
    $ProgressBar = New-Object –TypeName PSObject
    $ProgressBar | Add-Member –MemberType NoteProperty –Name ....
    $ProgressBar | Add-Member –MemberType NoteProperty –Name Count -Value 10
    $ProgressBar | Add-Member –MemberType NoteProperty –Name X -Value 0
    $ProgressBar | Add-Member –MemberType NoteProperty –Name Increment -Value .25
    $ProgressBar | Add-Member –MemberType NoteProperty –Name ....
    $ProgressBar | Add-Member –MemberType ScriptMethod –Name Step -Value {$_.X = $_.Increment*$_.Count}
    }

$PB = Create-ProgressBar
    $PB.Step()

I though '$_' would work, but it doesn't. How do I do this?

Richard Siddaway

Is there a reason you are creating your own progress bar instead of using Write-Progress?

graybin
    Participant

Yes, I want to do some different things, but I am looking at how to do this in general for other applications as well.

Dave Wyatt

Inside your script block, use the $this automatic variable instead of $_. I assume you meant that to be a += operator, not = (or Step would always assign the same value to X, over and over.)

$ProgressBar | Add-Member –MemberType ScriptMethod –Name Step -Value { $this.X += $this.Increment * $this.Count }

Richard's got a point, though, you're kind of reinventing the wheel here. PowerShell has the Write-Progress cmdlet, and if that doesn't meet your needs, you can also easily access the System.Windows.Forms.ProgressBar class, which has similar functionality to what you've shown so far (X = Value, Increment / Count = Step, Step() = PerformStep() , etc)

Add-Type -AssemblyName System.Windows.Forms
    $PB = New-Object System.Windows.Forms.ProgressBar

graybin
    Participant

Thanks, $This worked.

I am playing with the progress bar to see what I can do. I have looked at the System.Windows.Forms.ProgressBar also, and it doesn't really have what I want either.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.