Use PowerShell to Create Terminal Server Profiles

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Daniel Krebs Daniel Krebs 1 year, 9 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Jacob Benson
    Jacob Benson

I have spent quite a bit of time googling to try and figure this out and can't seem to find an answer. I am involved in a Terminal Server rebuild project where we need to create local user profiles for 75 different users. We are hoping to avoid having to login as every single user and then logging off. Is this something PowerShell can handle? We have a list of all their usernames and credentials.

Profile photo of Dave Hall
    Dave Hall
    Participant

Why would you be logging in to create RDS local profiles? At worst I would expect you to have a properly configured default profile or group policy preferences configured to set up the user's session properly.

Profile photo of Jacob Benson
    Jacob Benson

I need the user profile folders to exist first so that I can copy over settings from previously used user profile disks

Profile photo of Ondrej Zilinec
    Ondrej Zilinec
    Participant

You can create profiles by running:

[b]runas /user:DOMAIN\USER cmd.exe[/b]

for everyuser you want to create profile. Powershell would help you to automate it for your 75 users 🙂

Profile photo of Daniel Krebs
    Daniel Krebs
    Participant

Hi Jacob,

I think it would be easier to copy the profiles onto a file server and configure the Remote Desktop profile path for each user or via GPO. Once you have roaming profiles configured Windows will copy down the profile automatically.

Another alternative would be to introduce Microsoft UE-V in the old environment before the rebuild. UE-V will save the settings you've selected onto the users home drive.

P.S. Local profiles on terminal servers are never a good idea. Roaming profiles can become very large and the last log off wins. Would be better to use UE-V or another product to only roam settings.

Best,
    Daniel

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.