Use users credentials without asking for them

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Dave Wyatt Dave Wyatt 9 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Stig Sörnsen
    Stig Sörnsen
    Participant

Hi,

I have created an internal Web API and written Powershell modules to interact with it.
    Some of the actions in the Web API needs authorization.

Hence, in Powershell I need to do something like this:

Invoke-WebRequest $url -Method Get -ContentType "application/json" -Credential (Get-Credential)

But the user is already opening the powershell prompt with their own user, and that should be enough to get authorized.

I guess I am looking for a feature like in Internet Explorer, where I can add a internal website as a Intranet site, therefor it won't ask for extra credentials.

Hope it makes sence.

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones
    Keymaster

That is, as you suggest, a feature of IE – not a general feature of Windows. IE is doing some malarky under the hood – receiving an authentication prompt from the web server, and then responding to it with a security token. You'd have to build that functionality yourself, and it ain't gonna be easy. Invoke-WebRequest is a much lower-level creature, and doesn't do any of the fancy stuff a browser does – like track cookies, automatically respond to auth requests, etc. It's just sending data back and forth.

Stig Sörnsen
    Participant

Hi Don,

Thank you for your answer. I guess I will then make it so that the module will just prompt the user one time and then reuse it within that session.

Best regards
    Stig

Profile photo of Dave Wyatt
    Dave Wyatt

Instead of -Credential, you'd just use the -UseDefaultCredentials switch on Invoke-WebRequest. This is assuming that your website uses Windows Authentication. If it's HTTP auth or forms-based or whatever, then you can't use the user's existing credentials without them re-entering the password.

Stig Sörnsen
    Participant

@dlwyatt – Thank you very much. Was exactly what I was looking for. Don't know how I missed the -UseDefaultCredentials parameter. I am using Windows Authentication – sorry for not making that clear in the first place.

Best regards
    Stig

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones
    Keymaster

Oh, apologies – I wasn't thinking that's what you were after. Sorry. Thanks Dave.

Profile photo of Dave Wyatt
    Dave Wyatt

No problem 🙂

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.