Using a Custom class 5 DSCresource multiple times in a Configuration

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Bjørn Roalkvam Bjørn Roalkvam 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Bjørn Roalkvam
    Bjørn Roalkvam
    Participant

Hi

Using Server 2012R2 with WMF 5
    I have written a DSCresource in Class 5 style for installing SharePoint 2013 updates.

When I try to compile-to-mof using this dscresource in my configuration mutliple times for deploying different patches I get errors like the following:

Test-ConflictingResources : A conflict was detected between resources '[InstallSharePointUpdate]SharePointSP1 (::441::9::InstallSharePointUpdate)' and '[InstallSharePointUpdate]SharePointSP1LanguagePackUpdate (::451::9::InstallSharePointUpdate)' in node 'vm11'. Resources have identical key properties but there are differences in the following non-key properties: 'PatchFileName'. Values 'officeserversp2013-kb2880552-fullfile-x64-en-us.exe' don't match values 'serverlpksp2013-kb2880554-fullfile-x64-nb-no.exe'. Please upd
    ate these property values so that they are identical in both cases.
    At line:271 char:9
    +         Test-ConflictingResources $keywordName $canonicalizedValue $k ...
    +         ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (:) [Write-Error], InvalidOperationException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ConflictingDuplicateResource,Test-ConflictingResources
    Test-ConflictingResources : A conflict was detected between resources '[InstallSharePointUpdate]SharePointSP1 (::441::9::InstallSharePointUpdate)' and '[InstallSharePointUpdate]SharePointAprilCU2016 (::461::9::InstallSharePointUpdate)' in node 'vm11'. Resou
    rces have identical key properties but there are differences in the following non-key properties: 'PatchFileName'. Values 'officeserversp2013-kb2880552-fullfile-x64-en-us.exe' don't match values 'ubersrv2013-kb3114938-fullfile-x64-glb.exe'. Please update these proper
    ty values so that they are identical in both cases.
    At line:271 char:9 

In the Configuration they look like this:

# Install SharePoint 2013 SP 1
            InstallSharePointUpdate SharePointSP1
            {
                PathtoFile = $ConfigurationData.NonNodeData.SharePoint.Binaries.Updates
                PatchFileName = 'officeserversp2013-kb2880552-fullfile-x64-en-us.exe'
                Ensure = "Present"
                PsDscRunAsCredential = $SPSetupCred  
                DependsOn = "[InstallSharePointLanguagePack]NoLAnguagePack"      
            }

# Install Norwegian Language pack for SharePoint 2013 SP 1
            InstallSharePointUpdate SharePointSP1LanguagePackUpdate
            {
                PatchFileName = 'serverlpksp2013-kb2880554-fullfile-x64-nb-no.exe'
                Ensure = "Present"          
                DependsOn = "[InstallSharePointUpdate]SharePointSP1"     
            }

# Install SharePoint 2013 CU April 2016
            InstallSharePointUpdate SharePointAprilCU2016
            {
                PatchFileName = 'ubersrv2013-kb3114938-fullfile-x64-glb.exe'
                Ensure = "Present"          
                DependsOn = "[InstallSharePointUpdate]SharePointSP1LanguagePackUpdate"     
            } 

How can i change this dscresource so that it will let me reuse it installing different patches?

What does work is creating dupicate classes with new names and running one update per dscresource. But that seems like waste of space:P..

Any tips are welcome!

Brgs

Bjørn

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones
    Keymaster

In your class-based resource, what property have you defined as the key?

Your class needs to be designed so that every instance of it in a configuration can have a unique key. That isn't the case, which is why PowerShell's upset.

Profile photo of Bjørn Roalkvam
    Bjørn Roalkvam
    Participant

Hi Don,

Thank you that worked nicely!

Brgs

Bjørn

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.