Using a property value in a variable

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Nick Chard Nick Chard 8 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Nick Chard
    Nick Chard
    Participant

Hi,

A quick question for you experts.

If I have an object with multiple properties, and I put that object into a variable, I can't always reuse a single property of the object using this format $variable.property

Using $variable.property in a path for example results in the object type being used, rather than the property value. I've come across this problem in few different scenarios, I've copied in an example below. I've tried different combinations of double and single quotes, brackets etc, but the only way I can get it to work is by creating a new variable (as shown below).

Is there a way to use $variable.property rather than making a new variable each time?

PS D:\scripts\modules> get-item IIS:\AppPools\* | select -First 1

Name                     State        Applications                                
    ----                     -----        ------------                                
    .NET v2.0                Started                                                  

PS D:\scripts\modules> $pool = get-item IIS:\AppPools\* | select -First 1

PS D:\scripts\modules> $pool.name
    .NET v2.0

PS D:\scripts\modules> Get-ItemProperty IIS:\AppPools\$pool.name
    Get-ItemProperty : Cannot find path 'IIS:\AppPools\Microsoft.IIs.PowerShell.Framework.ConfigurationElement.name' because it does not 
    exist.
    At line:1 char:1
    + Get-ItemProperty IIS:\AppPools\$pool.name
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (IIS:\AppPools\M...ionElement.name:String) [Get-ItemProperty], ItemNotFoundException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : PathNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.GetItemPropertyCommand

PS D:\scripts\modules> $name = $pool.name

PS D:\scripts\modules> Get-ItemProperty IIS:\AppPools\$name

Name                     State        Applications                                
    ----                     -----        ------------                                
    .NET v2.0                Started                                                  

Profile photo of random commandline
    random commandline
    Participant
    Get-ItemProperty $pool.FullName

or use a sub-expression

Get-ItemProperty IIS:\AppPools\$($pool.name)
    Profile photo of Nick Chard
    Nick Chard
    Participant

Thanks. the sub expression is exactly what I was looking for

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.