Using Add-Member to build a new csv file

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Will Anderson Will Anderson 1 year, 5 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Gerald

I'm trying to read a csv file, split some columns into multiple columns, and output that to a new csv file.

My input csv looks like this(there could be many values within the Owner & Delegate columns) –

Abc,def,efg,"lastname1, firstname1 (UserID1), lastname2, firstname2 (UserID2)","lastname3, firstname3 (UserID3), lastname4, firstname4 (USerID4)"

I'm looking to extract the UserID value found between the brackets within (UserID*), and write each value found there out to a new column. The new csv file created should look something like this –

Here is what I have so far –

$data = import-csv $InputFile 
    # Columns from the input file that contain delegate ID's we need to query for
    $Columns = @("Owner","Delegates")
    # Define array for output records
    $Merged = New-Object System.Collections.ArrayList
    ForEach ($Row in $Data)
        # Build output record consisting of Project sizes
        $Output = New-Object -Type PSCustomObject
        #$Output | Add-Member -type NoteProperty -Name "APP"         -Value $Row.APP 
        #$Output | Add-Member -type NoteProperty -Name "Environment" -Value $Row.Environment 
        #$Output | Add-Member -type NoteProperty -Name "Group"       -Value $Row.Group 
        ForEach ($Column in $Columns)
            $UserID = $Row.$Column.Split('()')
            While ($UserID[$i])
                $Name = $Column + $ID 
                $Output | Add-Member -type NoteProperty -Name $Name -Value $UserID[$i] 
                $i = $i + 2
        # Combine into one array        

My issue is, with all the $Output | Add-Member statements uncommented, my $Merged array only contains the values of the first 3 columns.

However, if I comment out those 3 $Output | Add-Member lines which add those values, then my $Merged array does contain the Owner/Delegate values I'm after.

I'm confused as to why having the first 3 Output | Add-Member lines active seems to interfere with the last one.

Profile photo of Gerald

Please ignore.

Looks to be more an issue with my input file.

Profile photo of Will Anderson
    Will Anderson

No problem! I was actually looking for an alternate method to handle this. Thanks for the puzzle! 🙂

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.