Using ROBOCOPY with powershell script

Tagged: 

This topic contains 21 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Max Kozlov 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

Dapinder Singh
    Participant

Hi guys, need your guidance in sorting the following out.

Scenario: I have a file server where new folders with files are created everyday. These folders size may range from few hundred MBs to GBs. For archiving purposes, my task is to copy yesterday's records (Folders and the files within) along with file permissions to another location. Here is my script:

# Define the variables
    $today = get-date -Hour 0 -Minute 0 -Second 0 -Millisecond 0
    $yesterday = get-date $today.adddays(-1) -Hour 0 -Minute 0 -Second 0 -Millisecond 0

# Getting output and Copy to another location with timestamps
    get-childitem -Path D:\data\SOURCEFOLDER -recurse | where {$_.CreationTime -gt (get-date $Yesterday) -and $_.CreationTime -lt $today} | ForEach-Object {Robocopy D:\data\SOURCEFOLDER '\\servername\destination' /E /COPY:DATSOU $_.Name}

Issue: Everything works well until ForEach-Object, somehow ROBOCOPY doesn't copy the extracted content. Robocopy creates the whole folder structure from the SOURCE directory. I tried COPY-ITEM, but it has some limitations, so had to use ROBOCOPY. Any ideas what I am doing wrong here?

Frank Tucker
    Participant

I don't think it is powershell. It's the /e switch from robocopy

Dapinder Singh
      Participant

Hi Frank, I have tried /S switch too, it hasn't worked either. What i can see, robocopy is going through each and every folder (thousands) but not picking up the one delivered by powershell.

Kiran P
    Participant

Wrap the robocopy command into Invoke-Command and then run through each object.

ForEach-Object {Invoke-Command -Command "Robocopy D:\data\SOURCEFOLDER '\\servername\destination' /E /COPY:DATSOU $_.Name"}

Thank you.

Dapinder Singh
      Participant

Thanks Kiran, will try it on Monday and let you know.

Dapinder Singh
      Participant

Hi Kiran,
      It fails with the following error:

Invoke-Command : Cannot bind parameter 'ScriptBlock'. Cannot convert the "Robocopy D:\data\SOURCEFOLDER 'C:\temp\testcopy' /E /COPY:DATSOU FOLDER1.Name" value of type "System.String" to type
      "System.Management.Automation.ScriptBlock".
      At line:4 char:176
      + ... mmand -Command "Robocopy D:\data\SOURCEFOLDER 'C:\temp\testcopy' /E /COPY:DATSOU ...
      + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      + CategoryInfo : InvalidArgument: (:) [Invoke-Command], ParameterBindingException
      + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CannotConvertArgumentNoMessage,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.InvokeCommandCommand

Kiran P
      Participant

Sorry, use Invoke-Expression, it's not Invoke-Command

Dapinder Singh
      Participant

It creates the entire folder structure from SOURCE at the destination, and then goes through each and every file in the subfolders which i don't want. Imagine going through hundreds and thousands of folders looking for content. What i want Robocopy to do is just pick the results produced by powershell and not to look into every folder.

Kiran P
      Participant

Then remove -recurse flag from from Get-ChildItem in your script.

Frank Tucker
    Participant

don't use the /s switch either... you code copied just the files for me with just removing the /e switch

Dapinder Singh
      Participant

Thanks Frank. I think the U (auditing) switch in COPY /DATSOU could be at fault too. Anyways, will try and let you know.

Dapinder Singh
      Participant

Tried this too, no luck. I did a test run on files, it works great, but when folders and subfolders get involved, it doesn't do the job.
      The interface and logs says it is copying files, but the destination has got nothing. Checked the disk space to see if some change is taking place somewhere else, but no. Any other suggestions?

Max Kozlov
    Participant

why you don't use robocopy's /MAXAGE /MINAGE switches and play with get-childitem ?
    you can generate values for these switches with PS and let ROBOCOPY filter files.

and, for better parameter handling try to launch robocopy this way

$parameters = @($source, $destination)
    if (...) { $parameters += '/MaxAge:{0}' -f $age }
    # [...]
    & robocopy $parameters

Dapinder Singh
      Participant

Hi Max, can you please elaborate it bit further, sorry I don't have scripting background. What is IF (...) statement doing? Thanks.

Max Kozlov
    Participant

"If" intend the non-binding of adding some parameters to robocopy 🙂
    if you will be satisfied not creation but modification time, you need something like "robocopy source destination /minage:1 /maxage:2" without powershell at all
    or look at other examples https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/1073.robocopy-and-a-few-examples.aspx

the main message: be best way to call robocopy: use "& robocopy $parameterarray" syntax

because robocopy doesn't support creationtime nor file-with-path selection,
    for exactly your variant I can suggest this:

$source= 'd:\1'
    $destination= 'd:\2'
    $today = (Get-Date).Date
    $yesterday = $today.AddDays(-1)
    get-childitem $source -Recurse | where-object { $_.CreationTime -gt $yesterday -and $_.CreationTime -lt $today } | Foreach-Object { robocopy (Split-Path $_.FullName) $destination $_.Name }

It copies file WITHOUT folder structure into destination
    for maintaining folder structure there is need some magic for destination folder tree creation

Max Kozlov
    Participant

and the magic is:

get-childitem $source -Recurse |
    where-object {
        $_.CreationTime -gt $yesterday -and $_.CreationTime -lt $today
    } | Foreach-Object {
        $s = (Split-Path $_.FullName)
        $d = $destination + $s.Substring($source.Length)
        robocopy $s $d $_.Name
    }

the additional switches for robocopy at you taste

Dapinder Singh
      Participant

I've been away from the office today, will give it a go tomorrow and let you know the outcome. Hopefully, it works!

Dapinder Singh
      Participant

Hi Max,

The 2nd script worked, but i think we are missing something from it. It took 3 hrs 20 mins to copy just 4.56 GB of data from 1 SATA volume to another. Normal copy & paste takes only approx 2 mins.
      I started the transcript to get some logs and found the following:

Host Application: C:\Windows\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\PowerShell_ISE.exe
      Process ID: 3420
      Transcript started, output file is C:\temp\logs.txt
      ——————————————————————————-
      ROBOCOPY :: Robust File Copy for Windows
      Started : Thursday, 22 June 2017 9:54:20 AM
      Source : D:\data\SOURCEFOLDER\
      Dest : C:\temp\testcopy\
      Every line in log file is x4. Does that mean, it is copying multiple (x4) times? I thought it could be the recurse parameter, however after removing the parameter the script would not copy any folder. Thoughts?

Max Kozlov
    Participant

Don't know why it repeat many times but this code really call robocopy one time per one file, this is the bottleneck.
    Seems you start-transcrpt somewhere inside cycle but nut before script run

So, as I'm already said, you should see if you can use Modification time or step away from robocopy.

what problems you have with copy-item ?
    If it is lfn sopport look on PSAlphaFS module

Dapinder Singh
      Participant

I started transcript at the beginning of the script. The problem i had with Copy-item was, it wouldn't copy the timestamps; unless you have any suggestions.

Dapinder Singh
    Participant

Any more thoughts?

Max Kozlov
    Participant

if file attrubutes is the only problem

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.