January 1, 2012 at 12:00 am #5077MemberPoints: 0Rank: Member
by fjalexander at 2012-09-05 08:50:05
Thank you in advance for any assistance with this question.
I've been trying to move from the cli to ISE for day-to-day interactive use of posh. However, I'm running into a small hassle. When I am in the ISE, I type "get-service -computer computername
After I type the "-computer" parameter and then start typing the computer name, intellisense kicks in. I have to wait ten to fifteen seconds while the ISE seems to freeze before I can hit [enter], and execute the command. In the bottom toolbar in the ISE, I see "stopping inellisense". I assume the freeze is the ISE waiting for intellisense to finish its work.
This makes the ISE very difficult to use. What am I doing wrong?
by poshoholic at 2012-09-05 13:46:28
Thanks for coming to the site for help. I'd like to find out a few quick things about your system and its history to see what possibilities there might be:
1. Are you running in Windows 8 or Windows Server 2012 RTM or are you using a downlevel system (Windows 7/Windows Server 2008 (R2))?
2. Have you previously installed any of the PowerShell 3.0 CTP/Release Preview bits on this system?
3. Are you seeing this issue in the embedded console for Intellisense and in the script editor, or just one or the other?
4. Does it happen every time, for multiple commands, or only with this specific use case?
5. If this is an upgrade from a system that had PowerShell 2.0 (i.e. a downlevel system), are you using any modifications for how PowerShell ise runs (like a config file to force .NET 4 to be used in PowerShell 2.0)?
6. Have you tried disabling (commenting out) your profile script so that you're back to a clean slate?
7. What other PowerShell-related software do you have on this system, if any?
8. If you modify any of the Intellisense options in $psISE.Options (see $psISE.Options | gm *Intellisense*), are you able to work around this issue?
Hopefully these questions will peel back the onion on this a little and help get us closer to figuring out what is going on.
by fjalexander at 2012-09-07 09:38:18
Is this really Kirk Munro? How cool is that!!
Fascinating... I emptied my profile, and that resolved the issue. My profile only sets up some psdrives, and common functions, so I would not have suspected that, thank you. However, I do store some notes in the profile that are commented out. I use transcripts in my cli sessions, and start them automatically in my profile. Transcript behavior is different in the ISE, so I had put some notes in my profile about it. I found I had neglected to comment out the following section:
#ISE – create a transcript:
+N ?â€”?creates a new script document tab + +O ?â€”?navigates to the Output pane +A ?â€”?selects all of the commands and output in the Output pane +C ?â€”?copies the whole Output pane contents +I ?â€”?navigates to the Script pane +V ?â€”?pastes the Output pane contents into the Script pane +S ?â€”?initiates saving the output
I commented those entries out, and now I don't see the issue.
I'm sorry for taking your time on this one... I should have been able to figure that out.
Thank you again,
by poshoholic at 2012-09-07 09:43:18
Yes, it's really me. 🙂
All questions are good questions, so don't apologize for seeking help here. That's what the forums are here for!
Also, thanks for circling back to let us know this is resolved.
The topic ‘V3 ISE intellisense hangin’ is closed to new replies.