Variable set in script displaying output when script is run

Welcome Forums General PowerShell Q&A Variable set in script displaying output when script is run

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by

Participant
11 months, 4 weeks ago.

• Author

Participant

I wrote a script to check if an external drive used for backups is mapped to P:, and if not check to see if a drive labeled "Offsite*" is connected. If the Offsite drive is connected, it will change the drive letter to P:.

(Eventually I plan on integrating this into my backup script, but for now it is stand alone.)

#This script MUST be run in an elevated PowerShell Instance for the Set_WmiInstance cmdlet to change the drive letter of the backup drive.

$TargetDir = "P:\Offsite-BAK-Files\" #Destination folder
    $TargetTest = Test-Path $TargetDir #Saves results of testing for an existing backup folder on the P: drive as a variable.
    $OffsiteDrive = Get-WmiObject "Win32_Volume" -namespace "root\cimv2" | where-object {$_.Label -and ($_.Label -like "*OffSite*")} #Saves as a variable results of check for a drive containing a label that includes "Offsite"

If ($TargetTest) {

Write-Host "P: drive is mapped"

} ElseIf ($OffsiteDrive) {

Set-WmiInstance -input $OffsiteDrive -Arguments @{DriveLetter="P:"}
                Write-Host "Changed drive letter of Offsite backup drive to P:"

} Else {

Write-Host "No backup drive is connected."

}

The script functions properly, but it displays the properties of the drive saved to the $OffsiteDrive variable when it runs. How can I prevent this from happening?

Participant
    #Requires -RunAsAdministrator

$TargetDir = "P:\Offsite-BAK-Files\" #Destination folder
    $TargetTest = Test-Path $TargetDir #Saves results of testing for an existing backup folder on the P: drive as a variable.
    $OffsiteDrive = Get-WmiObject "Win32_Volume" -namespace "root\cimv2" | where-object {$_.Label -and ($_.Label -like "*OffSite*")} #Saves as a variable results of check for a drive containing a label that includes "Offsite"

If ($TargetTest) {

Write-Output "P: drive is mapped"

} ElseIf ($OffsiteDrive) {

Set-WmiInstance -input $OffsiteDrive -Arguments @{DriveLetter="P:"} | Out-Null
        Write-Output "Changed drive letter of Offsite backup drive to P:"

} Else {

Write-Output "No backup drive is connected."

}

Participant

Thanks Sam. I was turned around in thinking it was the variable that was displaying the output rather than the Set-WmiInstance cmdlet. As I'm sure you've gathered, I'm still pretty new to PowerShell scripting (as well as scripting in general).

The topic ‘Variable set in script displaying output when script is run’ is closed to new replies.