Variable substitution in rest api in powershell

Welcome Forums General PowerShell Q&A Variable substitution in rest api in powershell

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Participant
      Topics: 1
      Replies: 0

Hi All,

I am a beginner in powershell.I was trying to call Tableau REST APIs using powershell.To make the script generic i would need to pass the filter parameters by through a variable.In the example below,

I have a csv file filterfile,which has two columns -Fit Name,Set Name.

Fit Name    Set Name

A                   AA

B                   BB

I would need the filter parameter in $param to get expanded down the line in the context of invoke restmethod.Since the csv has only two rows(it can have N number of rows),the expanded values should be

Invoke-RestMethod -Uri “$server/api/3.5/sites/$siteID/views/$responseD/PDF?vf_Filter1=A&vf_Filter2=AA

Invoke-RestMethod -Uri “$server/api/3.5/sites/$siteID/views/$responseD/PDF?vf_Filter1=B&vf_Filter2=BB

sample code:

$param=”vf_Filter1=$($_.{Fit Name})&vf_Filter2=$($_.{Set Name})”

Import-Csv $filterfile | ForEach-object{

Invoke-RestMethod -Uri “$server/api/3.5/sites/$siteID/views/$responseD/PDF?$Param”

}

Tried -f operator to assign the values.

<span class="token variable">$Filter</span> = <span class="token variable">$param</span> <span class="token operator">-</span>f <span class="token variable">$_</span><span class="token punctuation">.</span><span class="token string">'Fit Name'</span><span class="token punctuation">,</span> <span class="token variable">$_</span><span class="token punctuation">.</span><span class="token string">'Set Name'</span>[/crayon] [/crayon] [/crayon]
      Participant
      Topics: 15
      Replies: 1775
      Helping Hand

Ensure that the parameter references are inside the loop. This is outside of the foreach, so $_ is not referring to anything:

Here is a basic example:

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.