Weird -filter issue

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Kevyn 1 month ago.

• Author

Caroline Shields
    Participant

So, I'm trying to get a list of mailboxes that are shared but do not have the "Termed" retention policy. When I run this command:

Get-Mailbox -ResultSize unlimited -Filter {(RecipientTypeDetails -eq 'SharedMailbox') -and (RetentionPolicy -ne 'Termed')} | select name,retentionpolicy

it still pulls in the "Termed" retentionpolicy users. However, if I run this command:

Get-Mailbox -ResultSize unlimited -Filter {(RecipientTypeDetails -eq 'UserMailbox') -and (UsageLocation -ne 'Korea')} | select name, usagelocation

it doesn't pull in any of the mailboxes located in Korea (I let this run for a couple minutes just to make sure).

Am I missing something?

Kevyn
    Participant

What version of Exchange are you running? At least for Exchange 2007 through Exchange 2013, RetentionPolicy and UsageLocation are not filterable properties. See https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb738155(v=exchg.80).aspx for the Exchange 2013 filterable properties article. You can get to the ones for Exchange 2007 & 2010 from there.

Kevyn
    Participant

Try the following instead:

Get-Mailbox -ResultSize unlimited -Filter {(RecipientTypeDetails -eq "SharedMailbox")} | Where{$_.RetentionPolicy -eq "Termed"} | Select name,retentionpolicy

AND

Get-Mailbox -ResultSize unlimited -Filter {(RecipientTypeDetails -eq "UserMailbox")} | Where{$_.UsageLocation -ne "Korea"} | Select name, usagelocation

Olaf Soyk
    Participant

I don't know why this is like tit is but you could try it this way:

Get-Mailbox -ResultSize unlimited -Filter {RecipientTypeDetails -eq 'SharedMailbox'} | 
        Where-Object {$_.RetentionPolicy -ne 'Termed'} | 
            select name,retentionpolicy

Caroline Shields
    Participant

Kevyn – I didn't even think about the field not being filterable. I'm using O365. I tried the command with only the retentionpolicy and it didn't work. I did have that workaround but I was trying to be greedy and have the filter do all the work.

Olaf – thank you for your workaround as well.

Kevyn
    Participant

I've also got an O365 tenant. Let me do some testing and see if I can get the filters to work. I'll try to post back by tomorrow.

Kevyn
    Participant

UsageLocation is a filterable property in O365, which currently uses Exchange 2016. However, the RetentionPolcy still does not look to be a filterable property. Looks like you'll have to filter that locally.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.