What got you into using Powershell?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Andrew Pearce Andrew Pearce 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Adam Bertram
    Adam Bertram
    Participant

I'm beginning to develop a new book outline and I'm trying to track down what initially brought people into using Powershell.

Was is because you had a specific problem to solve and through research found Powershell to be the way?
    Was it because your boss forced you to start looking at it?
    Was it because you managed some kind of system that only offered Powershell support?
    Did you start looking at it from a career perspective because you saw the kinds of jobs you wanted required or Powershell experience was a nice to have?

Enlighten me!

Profile photo of Tim Pringle
    Tim Pringle
    Participant

Hey Adam,

I initially got introduced to PowerShell when looking through scripting articles. At the time I was a heavy vbscript user and started to notice mention of this PowerShell thingie more and more in artcles and forums and by people offering solutions. That started the ball rolling, and I was hooked straight away after seeing how easily i could carry out tasks with WMI. Then I found out about the the pipeline, and that was me on the journey never ends. 🙂

Ironically, another motivation for learning PowerShell was my boss at the time didn't want me to go anywhere near it! He was one of those micro management miscreants who felt threatended by things he wasn't aware of. That was fuel to the fire for me. Because we operated in one of those environments where delivering things ahead of schedule was a no-no, I was able to use the extra time I'd saved using PowerShell for my tasks to learn more. And the new stuff i then learned allowed me to save more time again, and so on.

It's also worked out good for my career and got a great job through it, but primary motivation has been for myself and the fun it gives. And being able to use your hobby for your work is magic.

Profile photo of Corey Thomas
    Corey Thomas
    Participant

I'm was an extremely heavy vbscripter. You name it, I could make it. I skipped the first few releases of PowerShell mostly because I didn't like having full control of what was happening inside each cmdlet.

But then I started playing around with converting one of my bigger projects to PS and loved it. Now I understand the real power and flexibility. There are very few times I go back to vbscript now.

The main reason I even started looking at PS is because I knew the technology was going to be widely used across multiple enterprise systems.

Profile photo of Adam Bertram
    Adam Bertram
    Participant

Thanks! It sounds like everyone so far was already scripting with VBscript and came upon Powershell that way. I was the same way. Perhaps asking this question in the powershell.org forum will get me pretty similar answers. 🙂 I'm trying to design a new book that will be a comprehensive reference to pretty much everything that is Powershell. It will be for late-beginner to intermediate users and I need to design it in a way that readers can just flip to a page and get useful information on a particular problem.

Profile photo of Matt McNabb
    Matt McNabb
    Participant

I learned Powershell to support Active Directory and Office 365 starting back in late 2012. I was never much of a scripter though I always liked the idea of scripting and programming. I could take someone else's work in VBS and twist it around to my own needs, but didn't really know what I was doing.

I gave Powershell a half-hearted attempt back in the early days of version 2.0, but most of the learning material was still for version 1.0. Even though the material made sense to me, without a real-world application of the technology it didn't really stick. Coming back to it in version 3.0 was easier because I had some scenarios I needed to work on which gave me focus. Once I had begun to dip my toes in the water and learned the overall behavior it just got easier.

Profile photo of Andrew Pearce
    Andrew Pearce
    Participant

I learned PowerShell so I could script and automate system builds and processes on our Windows infrastructure. I never learnt VBS, always found it painful! However after the first few revisions of PowerShell I felt like it had 'grown up' and realised not many people where I am were learning it, and I knew this would be good for my career!

Early PowerShell revisions had same crazy non-standard commands, I can't remember them exactly but the Windows Feature names for the DNS and DHCP server features were especially bad, I recall it being some like like the dism commands, DNS-Server-Core-Role and DHCPServerCore. Seriously, standardize Microsoft! And I'm glad they did eventually fix that up.

So really when version 3 was released, things were more standardized and I could find genuine business cases for scripting things I started trying to do everything I could from within PowerShell rather than the GUI. It's definitely paid off, and now I simply need to find a #DevOps specific job. 🙂

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.