What happened inside the PowerShell ETS?

Welcome Forums General PowerShell Q&A What happened inside the PowerShell ETS?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant
      Topics: 1
      Replies: 2

I want to find the PSObject.cs file in Github, but I cannot find it. And I haven’t find any file containing definition of this class (System.Management.Automation.PSObject). In source code of many other classes of PowerShell, I found that the PSObject class is used widely, but many properties or methods of the PSObject class are not documented in offical document of it.

The reason I want to find the source of PSObject is, in the following code, even the statements in the part 2 work correctly, but both the Name and the Age properties are not included in the output of the two statements in the part 3.

# part 1
      $obj = [pscustomobject] @{Name = "Joe"; Age = 42}

# part 2
      $obj.psextended.Name # "Joe"
      $obj.Name # "Joe"
      $obj.psextended.Age # 42
      $obj.Age # 42

# part 3
      $obj.GetType().GetMembers() | select Name, MemberType
      $obj.psobject.GetType().GetMembers() | select Name, MemberType

The output of the first statement in part 3 is:

Name MemberType
      ---- ----------
      ToString Method
      GetType Method
      Equals Method
      GetHashCode Method

The output of the second statement in part 3 is:

Name MemberType
      ---- ----------
      get_BaseObject Method
      get_Members Method
      get_Properties Method
      get_Methods Method
      get_ImmediateBaseObject Method
      get_TypeNames Method
      op_Implicit Method
      op_Implicit Method
      op_Implicit Method
      op_Implicit Method
      op_Implicit Method
      AsPSObject Method
      ToString Method
      ToString Method
      Copy Method
      CompareTo Method
      Equals Method
      GetHashCode Method
      GetObjectData Method
      GetType Method
      .ctor Constructor
      .ctor Constructor
      .ctor Constructor
      BaseObject Property
      Members Property
      Properties Property
      Methods Property
      ImmediateBaseObject Property
      TypeNames Property
      AdaptedMemberSetName Field
      ExtendedMemberSetName Field
      BaseObjectMemberSetName Field

It seems that these two properties are not defined neither in $obj (a PSCustomObject) or its wrapper ($obj.psobject, a PSObject).

So, where the Name and the Age properties are defined? What happened when the statements in part 2 run? In other words, What happened inside the PowerShell ETS? Why there is not a “Name” property defined in $obj or $obj.psobject, but $obj.Name or $obj.psextended.Name works?

And, where can I find the real complete source code of the PSObject class?

Participant
      Topics: 7
      Replies: 2458
      Helping Hand

When you crosspost the same question at the same time to different forums you should at least post links to the other forums along with your question to avoid people willing to help you making their work twice or more.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/63772774/why-i-cannot-find-where-a-property-is-defined-in-powershell-where-is-the-source

Thanks

Senior Moderator
      Topics: 9
      Replies: 1310
      Helping Hand

In the above code, you are getting members of the type, which is pscustomobject. Name and Age are not members of this type, but properties of an instance of PSCustomObject type.
      you would do

You can find the whole PowerShell source code at http://www.github.com/PowerShell/PowerShell which is now for v 7.x

Participant

@kvprasoon, Thank  you for your reply. You said “In the above code, you are getting members of the type, which is pscustomobject. Name and Age are not members of this type, but properties of an instance of PSCustomObject type.” The instance is the $obj object in my code. As you said, the Name and Age properties are added to the $obj object, not added to the PSCustomObject type, but even this is true,  call $obj.GetType() should reflect the definition of the “new type” that is the template of the $obj object, not the original PSCustomObject type. So, I’m still confused.

Can you give me some tips about the internal implementation of this? In other words, how properties are added dynamically to an object, and why the syntex $obj.property can work for these properties?

Participant

This post on StackOverflow is written by myself. I just copyed it to Powershell.org for asking more people.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.