what to do when Get-Help produces duplicates

Welcome Forums General PowerShell Q&A what to do when Get-Help produces duplicates

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by

Participant
4 days, 23 hours ago.

• Author

Participant
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 6

hi all,
    I am want to lear something about Scheduled Job and that lead me to searching for about_ help files.
    My problem is that Get-Help produces duplicate topics and this way I can't actually read their content.
    Here's what is happening on my Powershell:

PS C:\shelldemo> man about_scheduled*                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Name                              Category  Module                    Synopsis
    ----                              --------  ------                    --------
    about_Scheduled_Jobs              HelpFile                            Describes scheduled jobs and explains how to use and manage 
    about_Scheduled_Jobs_Advanced     HelpFile                            Explains advanced scheduled job topics, including the fi... 
    about_Scheduled_Jobs_Basics       HelpFile                            Explains how to create and manage scheduled jobs.           about_Scheduled_Jobs_Troublesh... HelpFile                            Explains how to resolve problems with scheduled jobs        
    about_Scheduled_Jobs              HelpFile                            Describes scheduled jobs and explains how to use and manage 
    about_Scheduled_Jobs_Advanced     HelpFile                            Explains advanced scheduled job topics, including the fi...
    about_Scheduled_Jobs_Basics       HelpFile                            Explains how to create and manage scheduled jobs.
    about_Scheduled_Jobs_Troublesh... HelpFile                            Explains how to resolve problems with scheduled jobs

So that if i want to read one of them, say about_Scheduled_Jobs that is what happens:

PS C:\shelldemo> man about_scheduled_jobs -Full

Name                              Category  Module                    Synopsis
    ----                              --------  ------                    --------

Any idea on what to do to remove the duplicate topics or at least leave them but been able to read an about_ file?

Thanks in advance
    PS: I already issued the command

Update-Help -Force -Ea SilentlyContinue

Participant
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 6

just an update: I was able at least to read the help file issuing the command:

PS C:\shelldemo> man (man about_scheduled_Jobs | select -First 1)

So now the only problem is how to get rid of the duplicates

Thanks in advance

Participant
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 8

The help files are stored in:

C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\en-US

The about_* files are just plain text files. Check to see if you have any similar/duplicate named  files.

PS D:\> dir C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\en-US\*scheduled*

Directory: C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\en-US

Mode LastWriteTime Length Name
    ---- ------------- ------ ----
    -a---- 8/9/2015 9:46 AM 11769 about_Scheduled_Jobs.help.txt
    -a---- 8/9/2015 9:46 AM 10104 about_Scheduled_Jobs_Advanced.help.txt
    -a---- 8/9/2015 9:46 AM 11374 about_Scheduled_Jobs_Basics.help.txt
    -a---- 8/9/2015 9:46 AM 21054 about_Scheduled_Jobs_Troubleshooting.help.txt

Participant
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 84
    Helping Hand

Is it possible you have a profile.ps1 file with something causing the duplicates? Or have you tried help using another user on the same system?

Participant
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 84
    Helping Hand

Though it may not exactly match your scenario, this might shed some light:

https://serverfault.com/questions/313570/powershell-2-how-to-eliminate-duplicate-help-entries

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.