what to do when Get-Help produces duplicates

Welcome Forums General PowerShell Q&A what to do when Get-Help produces duplicates

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant
      Topics: 4
      Replies: 11

hi all,
      I am want to lear something about Scheduled Job and that lead me to searching for about_ help files.
      My problem is that Get-Help produces duplicate topics and this way I can't actually read their content.
      Here's what is happening on my Powershell:

PS C:\shelldemo> man about_scheduled*                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Name                              Category  Module                    Synopsis
      ----                              --------  ------                    --------
      about_Scheduled_Jobs              HelpFile                            Describes scheduled jobs and explains how to use and manage 
      about_Scheduled_Jobs_Advanced     HelpFile                            Explains advanced scheduled job topics, including the fi... 
      about_Scheduled_Jobs_Basics       HelpFile                            Explains how to create and manage scheduled jobs.           about_Scheduled_Jobs_Troublesh... HelpFile                            Explains how to resolve problems with scheduled jobs        
      about_Scheduled_Jobs              HelpFile                            Describes scheduled jobs and explains how to use and manage 
      about_Scheduled_Jobs_Advanced     HelpFile                            Explains advanced scheduled job topics, including the fi...
      about_Scheduled_Jobs_Basics       HelpFile                            Explains how to create and manage scheduled jobs.
      about_Scheduled_Jobs_Troublesh... HelpFile                            Explains how to resolve problems with scheduled jobs

So that if i want to read one of them, say about_Scheduled_Jobs that is what happens:

PS C:\shelldemo> man about_scheduled_jobs -Full

Name                              Category  Module                    Synopsis

Any idea on what to do to remove the duplicate topics or at least leave them but been able to read an about_ file?

Thanks in advance
      PS: I already issued the command

Update-Help -Force -Ea SilentlyContinue
      Participant

just an update: I was able at least to read the help file issuing the command:

PS C:\shelldemo> man (man about_scheduled_Jobs | select -First 1)

So now the only problem is how to get rid of the duplicates

Thanks in advance

Participant
      Topics: 0
      Replies: 24
      Helping Hand

The help files are stored in:

C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\en-US

The about_* files are just plain text files. Check to see if you have any similar/duplicate named  files.

PS D:\> dir C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\en-US\*scheduled*

Directory: C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\en-US

Mode LastWriteTime Length Name
      ---- ------------- ------ ----
      -a---- 8/9/2015 9:46 AM 11769 about_Scheduled_Jobs.help.txt
      -a---- 8/9/2015 9:46 AM 10104 about_Scheduled_Jobs_Advanced.help.txt
      -a---- 8/9/2015 9:46 AM 11374 about_Scheduled_Jobs_Basics.help.txt
      -a---- 8/9/2015 9:46 AM 21054 about_Scheduled_Jobs_Troubleshooting.help.txt
      Participant
      Topics: 10
      Replies: 118
      Helping Hand

Is it possible you have a profile.ps1 file with something causing the duplicates? Or have you tried help using another user on the same system?

Participant
      Topics: 10
      Replies: 118
      Helping Hand

Though it may not exactly match your scenario, this might shed some light:

https://serverfault.com/questions/313570/powershell-2-how-to-eliminate-duplicate-help-entries

Participant

thanks for the responses.
      i tried to find some duplicate text files and that is the result:

PS C:\> dir -File about_Scheduled_Jobs.help.txt -Recurse -force -ea SilentlyContinue

Directory: C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Temp\eaa334kg\Microsoft.PowerShell.Core_00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000_
          en-US_HelpContent

Mode                LastWriteTime         Length Name
      ----                -------------         ------ ----
      -a----       09/08/2015      9:46          11769 about_Scheduled_Jobs.help.txt

Directory:
          C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Temp\gzawvlbv\PSScheduledJob_50cdb55f-5ab7-489f-9e94-4ec21ff51e59_en-US_HelpContent

Directory: C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\en-US

Directory: C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules\PSScheduledJob\en-US

Directory: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\en-US

Due to this search, i already tried to modify the file name inside C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules\PSScheduledJob\en-US
      naming the helpfile Xabout_Scheduled_Jobs.help.txt make disappear the duplicate of that file.

Now probably in my early efforts to begin understanding powershell i messed around installing modules?
      But the question that matter to me is: did I suppose to cancel helpfiles inside C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules\PSScheduledJob\en-US?

According to Sean the about_ help files are stored inside C:\Windows\SysWOW64\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\en-US (already checked, they are there indeed)
      I tried to uninstall-module and remove-module PSSheduledJobs but nothing happened, i mean powershell cant find that module

A safer way would be to just rename the '...\Module\En-Us' help files and get rid of it, but if erasing those files in your opinion do not 'break' anything
      i will do it

By the way thank you all for pointing me in the right direction to figure out the duplicate problem đŸ™‚

PS: here is the result after renaming:

PS C:\> man about_scheduled*

Name                              Category  Module                    Synopsis
      about_Scheduled_Jobs_Basics       HelpFile                            Explains how to create and manage scheduled jobs.
      about_Scheduled_Jobs_Troublesh... HelpFile                            Explains how to resolve problems with scheduled jobs

UPDATE:
      every time I use Update-Help -Force -ea SilentlyContinue i have again duplicate about_Scheduled files.
      Not a big deal to erase the ones in the 'wrong' directory, but if you think of a alternative/permanent solution let me know ^^

Participant
      Topics: 0
      Replies: 24
      Helping Hand

It looks like you have multiple copies of the module installed in different locations. Update-Help is updating the help files for every location.

Participant

thanks for the response,
      I think too that is the problem, but when I try to search installed modules nothing shows up:

PS C:\shelldemo> Get-Module

ModuleType Version    Name                                ExportedCommands
      ---------- -------    ----                                ----------------
      Manifest   3.1.0.0    Microsoft.PowerShell.Management     {Add-Computer, Add-Content, Checkpoint-Computer, Clear-Con...
      Manifest   3.1.0.0    Microsoft.PowerShell.Utility        {Add-Member, Add-Type, Clear-Variable, Compare-Object...}
      Script     2.0.0      PSReadline                          {Get-PSReadLineKeyHandler, Get-PSReadLineOption, Remove-PS...

Is there any other method or cmdlet to find what modules are actually installed locally on my computer?
      According to get-module cmdlet no "sheduled" module are redundant on my machine so the issue with duplicate topics is not solved yet.

I can leave with it, I just only remember myself to erase the duplicates, not a big deal. But i'd like to solve this issue permanently if I can.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.