Whatif prevents export-csv. Any way to bypass?

Welcome Forums General PowerShell Q&A Whatif prevents export-csv. Any way to bypass?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by

Participant
3 weeks, 5 days ago.

• Author

Participant

I've been working on a script that will be used to update Microsoft's Active Directory using the set-aduser command.  This script creates a log file by using the export-csv command to write a csv file with all of the differences between the existing and new data.  However, when attempting to use the whatif parameter, it doesn't create the csv file.  Is there anyway around this?

Participant
    Helping Hand

Remove the -WhatIf parameter

Participant

My goal with the whatif parameter is to allow me to run it against all of the users without updating anything, but still receive the csv file of what will change.  This way I can validate the changes before committing.

Participant
    Helping Hand

-WhatIf is not supposed to be used in scripts, its for interactive use case for the end user to understand What will happen if he/she executes it.

Just to know,

run it against all of the users without updating anything

What will you do with this ?

Participant
    Helping Hand

Ditto to what kvprasoon has said.

Use a try catch  instead of the WhatIf, and handle the output directly.

Participant
    Helping Hand

If you want to bypass a specified -WhatIf parameter applied to a script or function, you can do so. I would caution you to do so only very sparingly.

Import-Csv -Path $CsvFile -WhatIf:$false

Participant

That is exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks

js

Participant
    Helping Hand

You can record -whatif messages with start-transcript, but it won't be csv.

Participant
    Helping Hand

That is exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks

What is the difference between omitting -WhatIf and declaring it $false? Is there something I am missing here? It seems like 6 in one, half a dozen in the other.

Participant
    Helping Hand

so let's say you create a function that calls Import-Csv and itself implements ShouldProcess.

Someone can call your function, and supply -WhatIf. This value will also be passed along to any cmdlets or functions that support ShouldProcess, such as Import-Csv. In this case, OP wants the -WhatIf to apply to their function, but not to Import-CSV because that provides the input, and for their function to be useful (and for the WhatIf output to be meaningful), it needs input to read.

Explicitly specifying the -WhatIf value in that manner prevents the caller of the function from affecting the function you don't want them to. But as mentioned, it's probably a bad idea to do too often.

I would generally advise you instead take in the input as parameters and call Import-Csv to import it before calling the function, but... there are always exceptions. 🙂

Participant
    Helping Hand

Interesting! I didnt know that, thanks for the explanation.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.