What's the difference Select ID vs Stop-Process ID

Welcome Forums General PowerShell Q&A What's the difference Select ID vs Stop-Process ID

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by

Senior Moderator
5 days, 12 hours ago.

• Author

Participant
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 9

I am trying to figure out the why in the following codes. A "why" explanation would be appreciated.

When I run the following code, select-object displays the piped object ID.

get-process | where {$_.name -eq 'ytd'} | select ID

The stop-process ID works if the object ID from the above code is hardwired.

Stop-Process ####

If I run the following code, PowerShell returns an error

get-process | where {$_.name -eq 'ytd'} | Stop-Process ID

Of course, this following would work and I understood why (Stop-Process is piped the object).

get-process | where {$_.name -eq 'ytd'} | Stop-Process

The question is what's the difference between the Stop-Process ID vs Select-Object ID; the object is piped to both cmdlets.

js

Participant
    Topics: 23
    Replies: 665
    Helping Hand

What's the error message? Stop-process is probably trying to get the ID from both the pipe and what follows it at the same time.

Participant
      Topics: 6
      Replies: 9

Recap the above post:

get-process | where {$_.name -eq 'ytd'} | select ID # Select output the process ID number
      Stop-Process ID # Use the ID number returned from above, it worked 
      get-process | where {$_.name -eq 'ytd'} | Stop-Process # No ID, it killed the process - ID was not needed
      get-process | where {$_.name -eq 'ytd'} | Stop-Process ID # error (see below); 
      # Trying to understand the difference between line 2 Stop-Process ID and the piped Stop-Process ID

I understood that ID after Stop-Process was not needed; however I was trying to understand why and how:

get-process | where {$_.name -eq 'ytd'} | Stop-Process ID

The following error was returned:

Stop-Process : Cannot bind parameter 'InputObject'. Cannot convert the "ID" value of type
      "System.String" to type "System.Diagnostics.Process".
      At line:1 char:56
      + get-process | where {$_.name -eq 'ytd'} | Stop-Process ID
      +                                                        ~~
          + CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (:) [Stop-Process], ParameterBindingException
          + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CannotConvertArgumentNoMessage,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.StopProcess
         Command

ID string was returned to Select-Object above and Stop-Process ID (integer) was parsed to successfully as well.

Why when it was piped, Stop-Process looked for System.Diagnostic.Process data type as in the error message.

Senior Moderator
    Topics: 8
    Replies: 1004
    Helping Hand

well,

when you use the Stop-Process cmdlet alone, then it requires an input to understand which process to stop(either ID or ProcessName), but when using the same cmdlet in a pipeline(chaining of cmdlets), then the required input is taken from pipeline and should not be passed (Get-Process -Name something | Stop-Process -Id $ID). It will understand what to consume from the pipeline object and proceed. Most of the builtin cmdlets in PowerShell has this capability.

see more here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/microsoft.powershell.core/about/about_pipelines?view=powershell-5.1

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.