where -in wildcards

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of John Curtiss John Curtiss 5 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of John Curtiss
    John Curtiss
    Participant

what's a better way to say

| where {$_.property -like "*this*" -or $_.property -like "*that*" -or $_.property -like "*theOther*}

is "where property -in (....)" supposed to work with wildcards?

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones
    Keymaster

-in does not work with wildcards, no, nor does it do what I think you're thinking. -in is a logical opposite of -contains, and it checks for an object's membership in a collection. It isn't like the T-SQL "IN" clause. There is no syntax for "-in (...)" in PowerShell.

You could do this:

$possibles = @('this','that','theOther')
    where {$_.property -in $possibles}

John Curtiss
    Participant

I think I need the wildcards. The value of property is going to be "something this etc" or "something that etc"

Profile photo of Dave Wyatt
    Dave Wyatt

Personally, I'd use the -match operator here, since regex has an "or" operator built-in:

$something | Where { $_.property -match 'this|that|theother' }

John Curtiss
    Participant

thanks Dave, match seems to be working.

my script is looking for expiring certificates from the Local Machine's Personal store, Trusted Root CA store, and Intermediate CA store, but I really only care about certificates that were issued by certain (internal) entities– mainly because there are some really old, expired trusted root certificates that I think maybe the OS depends on, so I don't want to delete them. but the format of the certificate "subject" (aka the 'property' in my original question) is not consistent. most of the time it's "CN=Some CA,OU=Some Department,O=That Company", etc., but occasionally it's an email address someguy@theother.com.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by Profile photo of John Curtiss John Curtiss.
    • This reply was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by Profile photo of John Curtiss John Curtiss.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.