Where-Object – Matching any integer in an array

Welcome Forums General PowerShell Q&A Where-Object – Matching any integer in an array

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant
      Topics: 1
      Replies: 10

Hi PS.org!  Looking forward to getting involved here!

Am trying to write a fairly simple script to pull out specific Event IDs from a set of System event logs (on domain controllers), but I can’t quite figure out how to get it to match any of the values within an array that holds the event IDs I want.

I have a variable ($EventIDs) that is an array of 5 or 6 integers, and one for the domain controller objects ($DCs):

When I do something simple, such as search for { $_.EventID -eq ‘1234’), it works fine.  However, I can’t figure out how to get this to search for any ID that is in the array $EventIDs:

(I know the above is wrong as it stands!)

I’ve gone through a number of articles today about this and can’t seem to work it out.  Would really appreciate a pointer or two!

Best to all,

J

Participant
      Topics: 5
      Replies: 170
      Helping Hand

In your script $_.EventID is NOT an integer.  It is an EventLogEntry object.  If you run the following you will see what I mean:

You will also see that EventLogEntry objects have a property of EventID that is an integer and what you are trying to filter.  So you would actually need to re-write as:

Having said all that it is more efficient to just use the InstanceID parameter of the Get-EventLog command so you are not paying the performance penalty of a pipe.  Like this:

Participant
      Topics: 2
      Replies: 380
      Helping Hand

The code looks OK to me and works locally.  I think this might be a scoping problem.  If you’re declaring $EventIDs outside of your ScriptBlock you need to make sure it’s passed through to Invoke-Command.

Participant

Hi Mike,

I know $_.EventID is not an integer, I meant that my array is an array of integers (suppose I could have just said ‘numbers’!)

Thanks for that, I’ll give it a try.

J

Participant

Hi Matt,

Ah, that makes sense!  I’ve done that and it works perfectly!

Do you think it’s best practice to put an array/variable like this within the script block itself, or does it not really matter if you just use $USING:    ?

Many thanks,

J

Participant
      Helping Hand

What I meant is you were comparing <EventLogEntry> to <Int> in your script and not <int> to <int> like you might think.  Also, I forgot you are doing this in a script block for Invoke-Command so Matt is right about scoping.  Local variables in your script are not accessible inside the Invoke-Command script block unless you force it with $using: or pass it in as a parameter value.

Participant

What I meant is you were comparing <EventLogEntry> to <Int> in your script and not <int> to <int> like you might think. Also, I forgot you are doing this in a script block for Invoke-Command so Matt is right about scoping. Local variables in your script are not accessible inside the Invoke-Command script block unless you force it with $using: or pass it in as a parameter value.

I see what you mean!

Participant
      Helping Hand

Do you think it’s best practice to put an array/variable like this within the script block itself, or does it not really matter if you just use $USING: ?

I think either way is acceptable as long as your code is consistent.

I’m aware of problems with $Using if you’re developing with Pester but in most (all?) other cases passing local variables with $Using should be fine.

Participant

Thanks to you both for your input and help!

J

Participant

One more question on this:

I’ve been using a particular event ID/set of IDs that I know exist to test this; the script is actually going to be used to check for events that don’t generally exist but we need to know if they get logged.

When I change the variable $EventIDs to the actual numbers I want to search for, it fails.  Why would this be?  I’m not sure which ‘-‘ operator the error is referring to – nothing in the syntax has changed, only the contents of the array I am using…

You must provide a value expression on the right-hand side of the ‘-‘ operator.
      + CategoryInfo : ParserError: (:) [], ParseException
      + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ExpectedValueExpression
      + PSComputerName : TESTSERVER

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 5 days ago by Jon Adams.
      Participant
      Helping Hand

What OS and PS version is your TESTSERVER?  I am unable to duplicate your results using Server 2019 / Windows PS Version 5.1 as a target machine.  This error is on the remote machine which is why you don’t see line numbers and a PSCOMPUTERNAME property in the error.

Participant

Hi Mike,

The test server is Server 2008 R2 and version info is as follows:

This only occurs when I put the actual IDs I want to use into the array.  If I change the array contents back to the values I was using to test with (i.e. event IDs I know for certain are present in the logs), it runs through all machines’ logs fine with zero errors.

Many thanks,

J

Participant
      Helping Hand

That is a very old version of PS.  If you can upgrade, I would.  Since I can’t duplicate it in my environment, my guess is that version of PS does not handle piping a null value across the pipe to where-object or could be it can’t handle $null -in EventIDs.  Do you have another host with at least PS version 3 that you can try?

Participant

Hi Mike,

There are other servers I COULD use, but as the purpose of it is to search domain controller logs, it probably doesn’t matter whether it works without errors on another machine!

The thing is: it brings up that above error for 2 machines (DCs), and then continues on its merry way, and actually then finds some of those events on some other machines – so it’s not a critical failure that leads to the script stopping or anything.

I’m just confused as to why simply changing the values in the array would cause the error on the same machine(s)?  If it’s able to make a remote connection using Invoke-Command to the machine, and find one set of event IDs, why would another set of IDs be any different?

Many thanks,

J

Participant
      Helping Hand

I agree with Mike that you should try and upgrade those servers.  The -in operator was introduced in version 3.0 so this is likely to be version related.

Participant

Those will be upgraded at some point.  However, I’m just trying to understand (from a learning perspective), why one number in an array doesn’t produce the error, but another one DOES?  Surely that can’t be to do with that version it’s on, right?

Participant

Also, the other DCs are the same, and they don’t error – which is why I’m confused!

Participant
      Helping Hand

Also, the other DCs are the same, and they don’t error – which is why I’m confused!

Interesting.  To troubleshoot, I would probably start an interactive session (ISE) with the server that causes the errors to troubleshoot.  Once established you can try the commands one at a time to narrow down and perhaps generate a more helpful error message.

Participant
      Helping Hand

Are you sure the PS version on the other servers is the same?

A quick check running powershell -version 2.0 confirms that the error is the same.  I can’t get it to return anything different.

Participant
      Helping Hand

I rarely run into terminating errors with the standard cmdlets, most errors are non-terminating, so it makes since that it keeps working.  If -in was not introduced until PS version 3 then the error message makes perfect sense because the interpreter would recognize the – but not the in.  If you just use the -InstanceID parameter in your Get-EventLog call this would be moot since you wouldn’t need to pipe the output to where-object.  The -InstanceID parameter will take an array of integers and will filter for EventID.  Just change you code to this:

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 5 days ago by Mike R..
      • This reply was modified 2 weeks, 5 days ago by Mike R..
      js
      Participant
      Topics: 32
      Replies: 850
      Helping Hand

You can have an integer array of id’s in get-winevent with the filterhashtable. There’s some annoying problems with it over invoke-command in all powershell versions. This worked for me at an elevated prompt.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 5 days ago by js.
      • This reply was modified 2 weeks, 4 days ago by js.
      Participant

Are you sure the PS version on the other servers is the same?

A quick check running powershell -version 2.0 confirms that the error is the same. I can’t get it to return anything different.

Hi Matt,

You’re absolutely right – I had wrong info.  These 2 servers only are 2008R2, the others are 2012.

That explains it then as I have tested with -match and it works OK.

Sorry to you and Mike for the confusion and thanks for your input and assistance!

J

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.