which active directory cmdlet has primarysmtpaddress as a property

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Art Beane 4 years, 3 months ago.

• Author

Robert Duncan
    Participant

Hi,

I am looking for the property primarysmtpaddress, get-aduser has a property called mail but this returns the proxyaddress – how do I get the primarysmtpaddress without using the exchange or quest cmdlets?

thanks,
    Rob.

Dave Wyatt

The ActiveDirectory cmdlets don't know anything about Exchange extensions, so you'd have to access the LDAP properties directly. I haven't worked with Exchange much, but based on this link, it looks like the "primary SMTP Address" is part of the proxyAddresses multi-valued attribute. Specifically, it's the element that begins with "SMTP:" in upper-case.

So you'd have to do something like this:

$user = Get-ADUser -Identity SomeUser -Properties proxyAddresses
    $primarySMTPAddress = ""
    foreach ($address in $user.proxyAddresses)
    {
        if (($address.Length -gt 5) -and ($address.SubString(0,5) -ceq 'SMTP:'))
        {
            $primarySMTPAddress = $address.SubString(5)
            break
        }
    }

Write-Host "PrimarySMTPAddress: $primarySMTPAddress"

Art Beane

In the ProxyAddresses property, the primary smtp address will be the one matching 'SMTP' (all upper case characters). One way to get it is to do this:

Get-ADUser -Identity  -Properties ProxyAddresses | Where-Object {$_.ProxyAddresses -cmatch "SMTP"}

Robert Duncan
    Participant

Thanks for the quick response guys, I can select the property ProxyAddress but how to only output the primary SMTP address,
    perhaps I am focusing on the wrong cmdlet, I can get the value pretty easily using the quest cmdlets

Get-QADUser -Identity -IncludedProperties primarysmtpaddress | select primarysmtpaddress

I am new to powershell but thought this would be a pretty straight forward filter on ad user object?

thanks,
    Rob.

Art Beane

Get-ADUser doesn't return a PrimarySMTPAddress object. The only way to get it is to retrieve the entry in the ProxyAddress array with the case sensitive 'SMTP' string. Dave's suggestion looks like a good way to proceed.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.