Why does set-property fail here??

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of Forums Archives Forums Archives 5 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

by tommls at 2013-01-29 15:40:15

Set-ItemProperty -path "\\x8\C$\Users\$UserID\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\UserData" -name Hidden -value $true

fails with these errors, why??
    I've checked the code/syntax against several discussions of this command.
    It has to use an UNC path, $UserID is a parameter.
    The desired goal is to create a hidden folder, UserData, within the Internet Explorer folder.

Set-ItemProperty : Property System.Boolean Hidden=True does not exist.
    At C:\GP_Directory.ps1:12 char:17
    + Set-ItemProperty < <<< -path "\\x8\C$\Users\$UserID\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\UserData" -name Hidden -value $true
    + CategoryInfo : ReadError: (System.Boolean Hidden=True:PSNoteProperty) [Set-ItemProper
    ty], IOException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : SetPropertyError,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.SetItemPropertyCommand

Using Powershell 2.0.

Thank you, Tom

by tommls at 2013-01-29 15:58:50

I also tried this kind of syntax: $(MkDir “Martin Zugec”).Attributes = ‘Hidden’ and it also failed.
    Thank you, Tom

by DonJ at 2013-01-29 17:40:07

The latter syntax won't work; MkDir doesn't return a valid reference to the folder.

Set-ItemProperty doesn't work because a directory doesn't have a "Hidden" property (Dir | GM to verify). There's an Attributes property; you don't set it to "Hidden," though. It's a bitmask, and has to use the values in the System.IO.FileAttributes enumeration (again, Dir | GM to see this). http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... butes.aspx. So, [System.IO.FileAttributes]::Hidden, I'm guessing.

by tommls at 2013-01-30 05:57:11

I got this working...
    I copied and used the wrong command from this blog:
    http://martinzugec.blogspot.com/2009/08 ... butes.html
    Actual code ends up being this:

[CmdletBinding()]
    param(
    [parameter(mandatory=$true)][string]$UserID
    )
    Set-Location "\\x5\C$\Users\$UserID\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft"
    Mkdir "Internet Explorer"
    Set-Location "\\x5\C$\Users\$UserID\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer"
    Mkdir "UserData"
    $(Get-Item "\\x5\C$\Users\$UserID\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\UserData").Attributes = ‘Hidden’

This is so people can open reports etc. in Great Plains 2010...

Thank you, Tom

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.