Why is REG EXPORT discrepant with get-itemproperty results?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Craig Duff Craig Duff 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Kiran
    Kiran
    Participant

I'm trying to write a script to modify registry keys. I am using Windows Server 2012. One problem I am having is that I see different key values depending on the command I use.

Discrepancy #1
    REG EXPORT "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop" destination.txt
    #The above shows a file with "ScreenSaveTimeout" appearing once with a value of "dword:00000384"

I then use this command:
    get-itemproperty-path "HKCU:\Control Panel\Desktop" -name "ScreenSaveTimeOUt"
    #The above shows ScreenSaveTimeOut at 900.

Discrepancy #2
    REG EXPORT "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop" destination.txt
    #The above shows a file with "SCRNSAVE.EXE="C:\\Windows\\system32\\scrnsave.scr"
    # Notice the "\\"

I then use this command:
    get-itemproperty-path "HKCU:\Control Panel\Desktop" -name "SCRNSAVE.EXE"
    #The above shows SCRNSAVE.EXE with a value of C:\Windows\system32\scrnsave.scr

Why are there different values when I use get-itemproperty and REG EXPORT? My script will rely on the values being evaluated.

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones
    Keymaster

384 is hexadecimal; its 900 in base10. So it's the same value expressed differently.

REG EXPORT is escaping the backslash, making it two backslashes. PowerShell doesn't. Again, same value, expressed differently.

Profile photo of Craig Duff
    Craig Duff
    Participant

.reg files need backslashes escaped with backslashes

Hexadecimal 384 is decimal 900.

Powershell is displaying the data in a friendly way and handling the conversions.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.