Why PSObject is hidden?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Dave Wyatt Dave Wyatt 2 years, 1 month ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Hi Guys,
    Could some one please reveal the secret why $XXX.PSOBJECT is hidden (.PSObject)? What hidden I mean is, I cannot find this in intelligence. To be honest until Don Jones said about in one of my previous posts !!

Do we have any more such hidden ones ( i don't know technically what PSObject is called)? If so how to self explore and know about this?

Profile photo of Dave Wyatt
    Dave Wyatt

Are you asking about the output of Get-Member? You can display that information by using the -Force switch on that cmdlet. I assume that they're hidden by default simply because they exist on every single object in PowerShell, and would clutter up the output. (They're also rarely needed from inside a PowerShell script.)

The Get-Member help file has this to say about the -Force switch: "Adds the intrinsic members (PSBase, PSAdapted, PSObject, PSTypeNames) and the compiler-generated get_ and set_ methods to the display. By default, Get-Member gets these properties in all views other than "Base" and "Adapted," but it does not display them."

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

WOW. Fantastic. Thanks a lot Wyatt. I was not aware of " | gm -force"
    Now I am relaxed, because its proved that Microsoft is not hiding anything (in PS) and which can be explored only by programmers or like you or Don or Jeff..etc.

My ego satisfied :-p

Profile photo of Rob Simmers
    Rob Simmers
    Participant

The only time I've use PSObject is to enumerate the Name (attribute\column name) and Value...

$processes = Get-Process | Select Name, Company, WS -First 3

$processes | foreach {
        $_.PSObject.Properties | foreach {
            "ColumnName: {0}" -f $_.Name
            "ColumnValue: {0}" -f $_.Value
        }

}

Output:

ColumnName: Name
    ColumnValue: agent
    ColumnName: Company
    ColumnValue: 
    ColumnName: WS
    ColumnValue: 6688768
    ColumnValue: armsvc
    ColumnValue: 
    ColumnValue: 1708032
    ColumnValue: chrome
    ColumnValue: Google Inc.
    ColumnValue: 28418048

Profile photo of Dave Wyatt
    Dave Wyatt

It's sometimes handy to make code compatible with StrictMode (where trying to access a non-existent property on an object will produce an error.) So I use $object.PSObject.Properties['PropertyName'] in order to check whether the property exists.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.