Windows 10 Upgrade [Jan 2016] - PowerShell configuration side effects

Tagged: 

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Jeffrey Wagar Jeffrey Wagar 8 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Jeffrey Wagar
    Jeffrey Wagar
    Participant

After upgrading from Windows 8.1 Professional to Windows 10 without any errors — good job Microsoft! WMF v5.0 and PowerShell v5.0 were automatically installed, too. I will post here the unexpected PowerShell configuration side effects, as I discover them, to help smooth the way for other PowerShell users.

1) Get-Module -ListAvailable
    Active Directory, Hyper-V, Server Manager Modules now missing

RSAT for Windows 8 is removed automatically by the Windows 10 Upgrade, so download & install Microsoft patch KB2693643 to obtain RSAT for Windows 10.

2) Get-NetAdapterStatistics cannot find any network adapter on this Windows 10 virtual machine that just has 1 adapter named 'Ethernet 2' created automatically by the Windows Server 2012 R2 Hyper-V host when the Generation 2 Virtual Machine was created.

PS C:> $myAdapter = Get-NetAdapter
    PS C:> $myAdapter.Name
    PS C:> 'Ethernet 2'
    PS C:> Get-NetAdapterStatistics -Name $myAdapter.Name
    PS C:> No objects found with property 'Name' equal to 'Ethernet 2'
    PS C:> Get-NetAdapterStatistics -Name 'Ethernet 2'
    PS C:> No objects found with property 'Name' equal to 'Ethernet 2'

3) SAPIEN PowerShell Studio 2015

Deactivate your SAPIEN license before upgrading to Windows 10 then activate that same license afterwards, avoiding consuming one of your two Activation licenses allowed.

4) Kindle for PC

If you have the Kindle Edition of PowerShell books, as I do, your Windows 7 "Kindle for PC" application is retained during the Windows 10 Upgrade, but gives the error message "Cannot open Apps with the built-in Administrator account — login with a different account" when you try to open Kindle, even if you are not logged using the built-in Administrator account! Uninstall the application then get the latest version from the Amazon website, helpfully rewritten to not trigger that error.

Your first issue isn't really a surprise as the RSAT tools are Windows version specific.

I'm surprised by the Get-Netadapter issue

Can you confirm you only have a single adapter. On my machine Get-Netadapter lists a LAN adapter; a wireless adapter and a Bluetooth adapter

Profile photo of Jeffrey Wagar
    Jeffrey Wagar
    Participant

The Windows 10 virtual machine has 1 adapter named 'Ethernet 2' created automatically by the Windows Server 2012 R2 Hyper-V host when the Generation 2 Virtual Machine was created.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.