Author Posts

August 17, 2014 at 11:25 am

Thank you in advance,
Is there an easy script that I can use to create a performance log alert every time I get a CPU,Memory,HDD above a set threshold... ?
My main problem is I don't know how to create this by getting real time values and also not creating overhead.

Example:

" Constantly monitor a server and Email the system admin whenever a server reaches more than 85% of processor use. "

Thanks for helping me getting started with this task.

August 18, 2014 at 6:15 am

You can try WMI Event Notifiers outlined here: https://www.simple-talk.com/sql/database-administration/using-powershell-and-wmi-events-queries-for-powerful-notifications/

Even if you are running a check every 5 min with Powershell via Scheduled Tasks, it should run in a couple of seconds and not generate too much overhead on the server.

August 19, 2014 at 8:29 am

A server reaching 85% isn't necessarily an issue. A server reaching 85% and sitting there for a significant period most likely is an issue. You need to think of time in this as well. I'm going to try and put a blog post together with an example

August 20, 2014 at 6:58 am

Thank you, I will try something out with WMI Event Notifiers like Richard states, I will keep you posted.