WMF5 Feb edition won't install

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Dave Wyatt Dave Wyatt 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Jeff Doyle
    Jeff Doyle
    Participant

Hi
    My win 8.1 pro Surface2 can't install WMF5. A bit of digging revealed that its because the preview is for EN-US installs only. Mine is set to Ireland. I got around this by setting my environment up as American and downloading a 150 mb language pack for "american English".

I can cope with this for now, but I won't be able to do this on my production servers. Has anyone else run into this issue or am I doing something stupid?
    Does anyone know when this preview will be ready for general release to the great unwashed?

I need to get my teeth into DSC. This could revolutionise the business I work for.

Thanks a mill
    Jeff

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones
    Keymaster

WMF5's license explicitly prohibits installing it on production servers, so that shouldn't be a problem :). Keep in mind that WMF5 is extremely preview-beta-not-done. It doesn't belong on production servers.

The public release hasn't been announced, and it may very well tie to Windows Server v.Next, which is a 2016 release. Or, it could release on its own between now and then. Microsoft hasn't said. But you can start using DSC with WMF4, which is production-readier.

Jeff Doyle
    Participant

Wow. That's what I call a prompt reply.
    I'll plough ahead with WMF4 on my Win2012r2 servers.
    I've watched the DSC MVA with Snover &Helmick on channel 9 which is based on WMF5 so hopefully I can retrofit this into WMF4

Great job with this website Don et al.

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones
    Keymaster

Yeah, they argued a lot about using 4 or 5. 5 won.

Our "The DSC Book" is actually a good v4 starting point. If you don't see something in there, it's probably v5-specific.

Jeff Doyle
    Participant

I'll check that book out. Thanks again

Profile photo of Dave Wyatt
    Dave Wyatt

You can get _some_ of the new benefits if you're running Server 2012 R2 or Windows 8.1 and you have KB3000850. That's an update rollup that includes some patches for DSC; we've been referring to it in the community as "DSC 1.5".

You don't get class-based resources, but you can use DependsOn with composite resources, set DebugMode in the LCM, and apply configurations that were compiled on a system with WMF 5. (There are probably other improvements as well; I'm just naming the big ones that I remember off the top of my head.)

The patch isn't available for Server 2012 or Server 2008 R2 yet, but I assume that it will be at some point before WMF 5.0's official release.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.