WMF5 Performance when dot sourcing

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Michael Willis Michael Willis 5 months, 1 week ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Michael Willis
    Michael Willis
    Participant

I noticed some performance issues dot sourcing scripts in modules, taking up to a minute to load in all of the files.

I tried to investigate and isolate using procmon on a handful of PCs running WMF5.
    The scripts ran instantly on PCS using WMF4, as well as on the WMF5 pcs after uninstalling WMF5.

To test further, I created a file named test.ps1 with the following contents.

$t = "hello"
    $t

The procmon capture did not account for the time, unless you include the profiling events, which I believe are irrelevant.

PS C:\temp2> Measure-Command { .\test.ps1 }

Days              : 0
    Hours             : 0
    Minutes           : 0
    Seconds           : 3
    Milliseconds      : 833
    Ticks             : 38337812
    TotalDays         : 4.43724675925926E-05
    TotalHours        : 0.00106493922222222
    TotalMinutes      : 0.0638963533333333
    TotalSeconds      : 3.8337812
    TotalMilliseconds : 3833.7812

PS C:\temp2> $PSVersionTable

Name                           Value
    ----                           -----
    PSVersion                      5.0.10586.117
    PSCompatibleVersions           {1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 4.0...}
    BuildVersion                   10.0.10586.117
    CLRVersion                     4.0.30319.42000
    WSManStackVersion              3.0
    PSRemotingProtocolVersion      2.3
    SerializationVersion           1.1.0.1

On average it takes 3-5 seconds to load a dot sourced a file.

Any ideas on what is causing my performance hit, or how I could further troubleshoot this?

Profile photo of Warren Frame
    Warren Frame
    Participant

Hi Michael!

If you do end up discovering what was causing this, might be worth following up here and your stackoverflow post in case someone else runs into the same issue. Very curious to hear what was causing this.

Cheers!

Profile photo of Michael Willis
    Michael Willis
    Participant

Here is the SO post for anyone interested: StackOverflow Post

Still waiting to pinpoint the exact cause. I created a test computer and noticed performance was fine on Windows 7.
    Moving the computer into a different OU causes the problem. It looks like it's down to a GPO, or ePO policy causing the conflict.

I notice this line in the McAfee Access log each time I try to run a dot sourced ps1.

Would be blocked by Access Protection rule (rule is currently not enforced) NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\SVCHOST.EXE C:\Windows\System32\wbem\WmiPrvSE.exe Anti-virus Maximum Protection:Prevent svchost executing non-Windows executables Action blocked : Read

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.