Work Remotely with PowerShell without enabling Remoting

Tagged: 

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of GJ GJ 2 years ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of GJ
    GJ
    Participant

Hello All –

I am very new to powershell(learning on powershell v3) and have a question on [b]powershell remoting[/b]. With no doubt Powershell remoting is great and is really a boon for system administrators.

I am able to run certain cmdlets (like Get-EventLog, Get-Process, Get-Service, etc... ) against remote machines even without having to enable the remoting on those remote machines. Whereas other cmdlets like Get-Windowsfeature works only when remoting is enabled.

My question is, [i][b]do we have a list of cmdlets that can run against remote machines without remoting enabled?[/b][/i]

Cheers,
    Ganesh

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones
    Keymaster

No, there is no central list. Your best bet would be to list commands that include a -ComputerName parameter – many of those will be Remoting commands, but that's the best you can do in terms of getting a list. The list will be small, and the underlying communications protocol will be different for each one.

Providing direct remote support requires a lot more work for the cmdlet programmer, and so unless the underlying .NET Framework classes include remote capabilities, most programmers simply rely on Remoting.

Profile photo of GJ
    GJ
    Participant

Many thanks Don!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.